In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Sres.Messrs Smith and Jones, Hardware Merchants — Smith y Jones, artículos de ferretería
- In 1880, Messrs W. E. Forster and Alfred Illingworth were elected MPs for Bradford.
- They are sticking to the party line. Sticking to a party line is something that Messrs Straw and Reid know all about.
- The cattle were shipped by Messrs Cosgrave and Clarke, Cattle Dealers.
- So should Messrs Hooper, Wilson, Baillie, Lees and Khouri - and a few females.
- Performing works for transverse flute and harpsichord were the young Messrs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.