In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Neither can a concern with the ear and the eye be taken simply as a reading of particular metaphors, however powerfully conceived.
- Although there is no use of metaphors or similes, there are beautiful descriptions in this book.
- It is his method of organising words, images and metaphors to create the particular effect he seeks to achieve.
- I've been working really hard on improving my metaphors and similes and the like.
- We thrive on metaphors and similes, and we place ourselves within contexts of known stories and mythologies.
- The dream contains all the violence of a given situation but it sits veiled in metaphors and images.
- Images are often presented through figures of speech like simile and metaphor.
- Kids take metaphors literally, which mean that a frog in your throat will be slimy, living and likely to hop out onto the kitchen floor.
- Cut adjectives, adverbs, similes and metaphors which do not shed light or develop the narrative voice.
- But we should not be tempted to construe these metaphors literally.
- As early as the 16th century theorists had compared musical figures to metaphors.
- So I went on to talk about metaphors you know, and similes and figures of speech.
- Poetry aims to speak death through metaphors but metaphors also defer rather than confer meaning.
- Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
- I doubt I have ever read a novel with so many extravagantly nonsensical similes and rococo metaphors.
- We think in similes and metaphors; some people simply carry the levels of identification farther than others.
- In this way as if scenarios are not metaphors but are performative approaches or enactments.
- The description is literal, concrete and concise, rarely using metaphors or similes to extend the image.
- Her daily speech is sprinkled with metaphors and witty turns of phrase.
- No longer will one or two tropes or metaphors serve to characterize the poetic work done by women.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.