- Cancer cells can also metastasize from their original site to other parts of the body.
- In addition, cancers can metastasize by penetrating into blood vessels, lymphatics, and body cavities.
- Vertical-phase tumors are more likely to metastasize (spread cancer to other parts of the body) than radial melanomas.
- Lung cancers often metastasize to the brain, liver, adrenals, bone, and kidneys but evaluation of these organs is usually directed by symptoms and clinical suspicion rather than by routine scanning.
- In 70 percent of these cases, the cancer will have metastasized, or spread to other areas of the body.