In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1métricothe metric system — el sistema métrico (decimal)
- In the United States, the engineers work in imperial units, while in the rest of the world, metric units are primarily used.
- Our modern metric units, like the gram or the centimetre, originate from their handy description of everyday quantities.
- Each color has its own wavelength, from dark red, which has the longest wavelength, to violet, which has the shortest wavelength, expressed in metric units of length.
- A button can also convert a number between Imperial and metric units, or look up a word in the dictionary, or fetch data from a database or Web site.
- He used the pyramids as support for a totally barmy argument against metric units.
- But metric units needed paper for calculations and hence they were not related to everyday life.
- Further, the news that the kilo is in such imminent danger of extinction will no doubt be seen as a vindication by Brits reluctant to sell their fruit and veg in metric units.
- Our products are offered both in inch and metric sizes.
- Give weights, measurements, and medication dosages in metric units and temperatures in both Fahrenheit and Celsius degrees.
- This system contains most of the metric units you are used to, like meters and kilograms, but also includes units for many other physical and engineering properties.
- The tool accepts both inch and metric data, and computes parameters such as torque.
- Most metric recipes were based on a weight unit of 25 grams - slightly less than an ounce - and a liquid measure of half a litre, which was slightly less than a pint.
- This is a rare case of a social scientific measure that has become so well known that the measure and the concept are almost as synonymous as temperature and the centigrade or Fahrenheit scales, or as length and the metric scale.
- The first mission, Mars Climate Orbiter, didn't stop fast enough and crashed into Mars because engineers didn't convert between metric and imperial units properly.
- The minister said the review will be part of a planned changeover to metric speed limit signage, from MPH to kilometers per hour.
- The metric version of these numbers is 26.5 liters per kilogram of beans
- Most students will more immediately comprehend data given in the text because of the use of English rather than metric units.
- Water was used as the basis for establishing the metric unit of mass, however, so it is easier to remember that a cubic centimeter of it has a mass of 1 gm.
- All this really means is that you are not using metric units.
- The road is measured in miles, or in these EU directed metric times, kilometres and the journey in hours and minutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.