In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The city edged out the other 49 metropolises we surveyed because it's so easy to stay fit, eat healthy, and access natural therapies there.
- I did not have high expectations about my trip before setting off because I thought Seoul would turn out to be a modern city comparable to other world metropolises without any special features.
- The modern metropolis of Shanghai was once a small village facing the East China Sea.
- As major metropolises and sites of colonial contestation, all five cities, including Paris, share similarly complex histories.
- When you compare that great city to the other major metropolises of the world, how's London doing?
- At one end it bleeds into the metropolis of Kansas City and at the other is farmland and small towns.
- I had expected to escape the bustle of the metropolis and soak in the undisturbed beauty of nature.
- Four thousand years ago Kerma, the capital of the kingdom of Kush, was a massive metropolis, the first in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Lagado is the capital metropolis of Balnibari, the continent of the land of Laputa.
- Ironically, the network which leads the girl away from her little village to the metropolis does not figure anywhere.
- This has the look of an inner London borough on a bright Saturday, a feeling of a village within a huge metropolis.
- He said that in other metropolises such as Tokyo, people living in suburban areas were still considered to be Tokyo residents.
- The city formerly known as Saigon is a sprawling, bustling metropolis in the south of Vietnam.
- A capitalist centre or metropolis with a number of colonies or areas of interests was thus the norm.
- The trio crashed through the dangling remains, now in the rough suburbs of the metropolis.
- City centers, especially in the nation's biggest metropolises, have become hosts to resurgent capital markets.
- Located far away from the hustle and bustle of a metropolis, the choice of venue was well and truly acknowledged by all concerned.
- They could have knock that sort of split but there does not seem to be one voice in favour of two county teams from the metropolis.
- It may be that what happens in half a dozen great conurbations mirrors life in the metropolis.
- The water supply and underground water systems in Taipei are outdated for the modern metropolis that is the nation's capital.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.