In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These resistant microbes may include bacteria that were present from the start.
- The T-cell system develops early in life and the only way it can develop is to be exposed to bacteria and other microbes.
- This method uses gene-altered microbes to rid the mouth of the bacteria that cause cavities.
- The approach starts with a weakened version of a microbe called an adenovirus.
- Pasteur was convinced that microbes caused diseases in humans but his work on cholera had failed.
- Complex sugars coat almost every cell in the body, as well as microbes that cause disease.
- Bacteria and microbes in the soil and in the waste itself do a spectacular job of breaking down the waste.
- You have to have the microbe, the bacteria get into you somehow, either through the skin, through the stomach or breathe it in through the air.
- Once the bacterium is within the macrophage, the macrophage's bactericidal mechanisms destroy the microbe.
- In this sense, Pasteur believed that microbes could spread diseases among humans.
- Theirs was the first report showing that a host nutritional deficiency could turn a harmless microbe into a pathogen.
- A virus is a parasite, which needs a host cell to live in, and a microbe is a bacterium, which is a living cell in its own right.
- They will tend to wipe out the entire population, which, unfortunately from the point of the microbe causing the disease, wipes the microbe out as well.
- Initially identified with herpes, the microbe is now thought to cause various malignant tumors as well as a form of lymphoma.
- Then there was the popular microbe theory, wherein a living microbe or bacillus caused baldness.
- Clearly the disease microbes brought over by the Europeans had already done a lot of their work.
- E. coli is similar in size to the Legionnella pneumophila bacterium and so acted as a model microbe for their proof of principle experiments.
- I tried to explain about microbes, viruses, but my heart wasn't really in it.
- The microbe is unusual in that most other bacteria in the same family are harmless to humans.
- When a worm dines on one of these microbial strains, the microbe's RNA is freed to turn off the corresponding worm gene.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.