In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Prof Rainey also examined more than 1,200 leaves of paper, even using a micrometer to measure the thickness of every sheet, as well as recording their height, width, watermarks, chainlines and other properties.
- For each species, the length and breadth of five seeds were measured with a micrometer and averaged.
- The thickness of both wing webs was measured by a pressure-sensitive micrometer before injection.
- Polished thin sections were produced using epoxy resin as an embedding and mounting medium with a thickness of 30 m, measured by micrometer and polished using 0.05 m aluminium oxide so that no scratches remained.
- Whatever it is, only a micrometer could measure it.
- The lengths were measured with an ocular micrometer fitted to the eye-piece of the microscope.
- The response was elicited by challenging the ears with oxazolone on Day 15, and the peak of the ear swelling reaction was measured with the spring micrometer between 16 and 24 h.
- The surface area of allergic mucin per slide was measured with an ocular micrometer, quantitated, and averaged for each case, then compared between the 2 groups.
- An index of intensity of the response to the mitogenic stimulation of T-cells was estimated as the change in thickness, measured with a pressure-sensitive micrometer, of the right wing web minus the change in the left wing web.
- Using a micrometer to measure the field diameter of the microscope is recommended.
- Finally, you can outside neck turn the brass if the lot indicates a severe lack of uniformity when measured with a proper micrometer.
- Picard devised a micrometer to measure the diameters of celestial objects such as the Sun, Moon and planets.
- The length and width of anthers were measured with a micrometer under a stereomicroscope.
- The tumor thickness was measured with an ocular micrometer from the most superficial layer of mucosal epithelium, ulcer base, or granular layer of squamous mucosa, to the deepest invasive tumor cell.
- Diameters of the potato tuber were scanned by moving a laser micrometer along the longitudinal axis of the tuber at constant speed, and tuber volume was evaluated as an aggreg ate of thin discs.
- A microscope with a calibrated eyepiece micrometer was used to measure the spheroid diameter.
- The thickness of subepithelial collagen fibrosis in the gastric biopsies stained with Masson trichrome was measured with an ocular micrometer.
- The tractor mechanism slowly pulls the fiber from the heated preform blank and is precisely controlled by using a laser micrometer to measure the diameter of the fiber and feed the information back to the tractor mechanism.
- The company also relies on laser micrometers to accurately measure tube diameters to five decimal places.
- The length of DNA migration in the comet tail, which is an estimate of DNA damage, was measured using an ocular micrometer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.