In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He used a simple microscope, although compound microscopes were available at the time.
- Light microscopes can magnify objects up to 1,000 times, revealing microscopic details.
- Optical inspection microscopes provide test capabilities for both masks and wafers at several different stages of the printing process.
- A biopsy allows scientists to look at a sample of your cells under a microscope and carry out tests on the tissue.
- These research microscopes often have binocular eyepieces, relying upon a series of prisms to split the image so that it may be viewed with both eyes.
- We know that looking for abnormal cells down a microscope is not an exact science, and that is the problem.
- The sample is then sent to a laboratory to be looked at under a microscope for signs of cell change.
- They therefore resolve images at much higher magnifications than can light microscopes.
- Instead, the abundance of leaf hairs on leaf surfaces or veins was scored for each sample under a light microscope.
- Currently available manual assays rely on microscopes (optical or fluorescence).
- Biosensors, such as patch clamps, electrodes, or microscopes are positioned to detect a response from the cell.
- The lengths were measured with an ocular micrometer fitted to the eyepiece of the microscope.
- A pathologist will examine the prostate sample under a microscope and check whether or not it is cancerous.
- Measurements were made using a light microscope equipped with an eyepiece micrometer.
- The paper shows that positrons can see defects better than either optical or electron beam microscopes.
- This simple approach recognises the fact that mycobacterial culture is not feasible in peripheral units but that light microscopes and trained microscopy staff are available.
- We had a lab to do that day, something to do with plants and microscopes and osmosis.
- She had spent weeks hunched over a microscope looking at samples of sperm.
- In rapid succession the field ion microscope and the scanning tunnelling microscope soon joined these microscopes.
- Photographs were taken after dissection using a microscope at a magnification of 64x.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.