In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The brainstem consists of the midbrain, pons and medulla, structures located deep in the back of the brain.
- The pons is a specialized band of nerve fibers that links the midbrain with the medulla oblongata and acts as a high-functioning switchboard.
- In each case, these sections included frontal cortex, basal ganglia, thalamus, hippocampus, midbrain, pons, medulla, and cerebellar hemisphere at the level of the dentate nucleus.
- The midbrain, brainstem, and cerebellum appeared grossly normal.
- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.