In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1clase media femininethe upper/lower middle class — la clase media alta/baja
- Marriage in the Western sense was more likely to occur among the upper and middle classes.
- A great many collectors from the upper aristocracy or rich middle classes called on her skill.
- In every single sphere of British influence, the upper echleons of power in 2013 are held overwhelmingly by the privately educated or the affluent middle class.
- Jobs are no longer guaranteed, even for the educated middle classes, and there is poverty right next to the opulent palaces of the rulers.
- While a newly affluent middle class is growing, so are the ranks of the new poor.
- The defeat of Austria by Prussia brought home to Napoleon the need to reconcile all classes, especially the educated middle classes, to the regime.
- Inflation destabilized the middle classes, the only social group on whom the Liberals could rely for support.
- They had been childhood sweethearts, both growing up in affluent middle class families in Lagos.
- The republic was built on the petty bourgeoisie and the middle classes.
- There was a rapidly growing urban middle class and signs of political openness from time to time.
- There is less violence in the affluent middle class areas, where people are too busy getting on with their lives to re-fight old struggles.
- The working classes and middle classes are now at the mercies of the regional land market.
- It wasn't just the working and middle classes she failed to charm.
- Distinctions can be drawn between the urban upper and urban middle classes.
- However, I don't think that means only the middle classes are interested in social justice issues.
- The site is decidedly apolitical, and betrays no overt signs of the ongoing tension between the increasingly reformist, secular-leaning educated middle class, and the fundamentalist ruling elite.
- In the eighteenth century the outlook of some groups in the upper and middle classes began to evolve in a new direction.
- I want the working class and the middle class and the upper class, and in Britain I've got it.
- The war is an issue that the educated middle classes feel very profoundly about.
- There was no large and mobile urban middle class with time and money to spend communing with nature in the national parks.
1(district/family) de clase media(attitudes/morality) burgués(attitudes/morality) convencional
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.