In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(area)centro del campo masculinemediocampo masculinebefore noun midfield player — centrocampista feminine
- (in US football) midfield stripe — línea central
- Staniforth was controlling the midfield and Graham was a constant threat at centre forward.
- We knew their strength was in central midfield which is why we packed the midfield.
- The midfield area is one that could decide the outcome of the game.
- He plays in the centre of midfield and he protects the defence but also joins in the attack and gets some great goals.
- Cameron Latter scored two first half goals after good work from George Holmes in the midfield.
- Davids runs the midfield while Kluivert scores the goals and makes the play from up front.
- Patrick is maybe not best known for his goals but for his amazing display in the centre of midfield.
- Danny Carroll was switched from the midfield to centre-half for the last two games.
- However the main point of concern for United should be the centre of midfield.
- As well as his hard work in the midfield, he has also chipped in with goals when the team have needed them most.
- With the injured Paul Warhurst absent, Paul Scholes had a field day in midfield.
- This is why I would put him in the centre of the midfield for my dream team.
- Allen's first goal was laid on by a superb ball from the midfield by Steve Omonua.
2(players)centro del campo masculinemediocampo masculine
- Great midfields are created by two centres who each pose a significant threat.
- Their central midfield was notable more for foraging than contributions in attack.
- Aided by the midfield, the Kirkby defence managed to weather the initial storm.
- Far from being an entertaining contest, it was one that the defences and midfields dominated.
- Italy have a strong defence and the midfield is more settled than a month ago.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.