In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Dedicated fundraisers are set to take on everything from swarms of midges to blisters when they set off on a 100-mile walk.
- Despite balmy temperatures, you'll need to pack pants, long-sleeved shirts, and, yes, even socks, to fend off the hordes of biting sand fleas and midges on the Tuichi River.
- Rations include a variety of insect larvae, especially mayflies, blackflies, caddis flies, and midges.
- The other night, trying to read an improving book in the bath, the room began filling with mosquitoes, midges and a small brown winged bug I didn't hang about to identify.
- Only an attack by a voracious swarm of midges then spoilt a leisurely paddle under a warm, summer sun on a perfect, windless day.
- The hormone is mixed with yeast - which mosquitoes love - to make granules easily added to the pools where midges breed.
- Most people would probably mistake them for small flies, such as gnats or midges.
- Bites from midges, mosquitoes and mites are normally very itchy.
- Arctic as well as temperate chironomid midges build special winter cocoons that are distinct from those made in summer.
- It is, of course, the midges and the clegs who present the major problem to the Scottish naturist.
- A new era of chromosome research began with the detection of giant chromosomes in tissues of Dipteran insects, the midges Bibio and Chironomus, and the fruit fly Drosophila.
- Alasdair McCrone, the artistic director, said the 35-year-old theatre, which has just 43 seats, is located in a wooded area and every summer is plagued by swarms of midges.
- Popularity is not always a good thing, especially when you seem to be a siren for this country's 18 different species of mosquitoes and midges.
- The portable machine was devised by Calor Gas and midge expert Dr Alison Blackwell and can clear midges from an area half the size of a football field using carbon dioxide.
- Oakworth Cricket Club is itching to keep spectators happy - by beating off swarms of midges.
- In the 19th century, USDA researchers discovered that mosquitoes, ticks, flies, and midges spread disease from animal to animal.
- Bloodworms are the larvae of a non-biting mosquito called a midge and are usually harmless to humans.
- Probably the most common method of transmission is by means of biting insects such as mosquitoes, midges, and flies.
- Included among the invertebrates are moth flies, wood gnats, midges, punkies, mosquitoes, marsh beetles, and beelike or wasplike syrphid flies.
- But as well as spending most of the night hunting for midges and mosquitoes, the nocturnal animals are always searching for new daytime hangouts.
especie de mosquito pequeño
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.