In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- To spawn, the fish migrate from large rivers and lakes into small streams.
- The birds migrate to tropical forests for the winter.
- Many native species migrate across the region, yet nobody can say for certain whether a 20m wide wildlife corridor is sufficient or inadequate for them.
- Federal officials warn that the first case of bird flu could show up in the United States in the coming weeks or months as birds migrate from overseas.
- Many birds migrate, and many of the world's frogs, lizards, and snakes lie low during cooler periods of the year.
- In recent years genetic data has suggested that some male great white sharks migrate between South Africa and Australia.
- All the previous birds have migrated independently after their first year.
- The study suggests that birds migrating from Siberia to Alaska are unlikely to carry the virus and that few of those birds ultimately fly farther south.
- Many of the birds migrating through Washington are on their way to southern South America for the winter.
- In fall the birds migrate south, many of them to the Extremadura region in central Spain, where they winter in huge flocks.
- In the fall, Bermuda is a rest stop for birds migrating from Canada to South America.
- Magnetic cues, which help many bird species migrate, appear to be particularly important to Bobolinks.
- These birds migrate from Mexico and, possibly, Central America to breed in the Chiricahua Mountains in the spring.
- In eastern North America, over two-thirds of breeding bird species migrate.
- Similarly, heart rate, wingbeat frequency, and respiration of birds flying in wind tunnels can now be compared to that of birds migrating in the wild.
- Washington birds appear to migrate east before turning south and migrating across the Gulf of Mexico.
- In eastern Washington, most birds migrate south in the fall to locations throughout the southwestern United States and central Mexico.
- During the harsh winter months, approximately 120 different species of bird migrate southwards.
- Eastern birds may migrate south, but western populations are more often altitudinal migrants, moving from the mountains into nearby lowlands in winter.
- During the fall and spring, many birds migrate along the river valley, and the Kittatinny Ridge is an especially important migratory corridor for raptors.
- Millions of people have migrated to our shores from just about every point on the globe, often to escape the physical danger and economic oppression of their own lands.
- Most of the farmers migrated to the area in the 1970s, following the paths opened by oil companies.
- In the struggle to make ends meet, they had migrated to various parts of the country.
- And they have poorer mental health than the people in the country they've migrated to.
- Their children migrated to the cities and the parents had to fend for themselves.
- Most residents are retired and many of their children have migrated to Australia.
- For example, many people migrated to the United States in groups and settled in the same cities as the other members of the group.
- His family migrated to India just before the partition in 1947.
- In 1950 Ruth and her British husband George migrated to New Zealand.
- Over the past three months, tens of thousands of people have migrated to Gode, the largest town in the Ogaden area.
- Many villages in the regency are devoid of young people as they have all migrated to Medan, Jakarta, Surabaya and other urban areas due to a lack of jobs at home.
- In places where there is no water for farming, men migrate to urban areas in search of work leaving women behind to fend for the old, and the infirm and the children.
- His father's brother had migrated to Australia many years before and had established a successful fruit and vegetable farm at Ormistom near Cleveland.
- Some people also migrated to cities like Managua.
- In recent years hundreds of thousands of rural people have migrated to the cities looking for jobs.
- Second, some families have migrated to the rural backwaters of other states where farms could be purchased at much lower prices.
- Their women, who did not bind their feet, worked beside them in the fields and often tended the farms while their husbands migrated to the mines or to man ships, burn charcoal, or emigrate.
- We have noted that several students have migrated to the US on basketball scholarships.
- My family migrated to Australia from Scotland in 1970 when I was 7.
- But, if they had migrated to Sweden or Norway, instead of Australia, their footprint would be far lighter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.