In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They are toxic, bioaccumulative, and able to be transported by the movement of air, water, and migratory species to places far from their original point of release.
- Throughout most of its range the big-horn is a partly migratory beast.
- For migratory species, such dams can disrupt several stages of the life cycle of the fish.
- They are also partially migratory, and in the fall they can be seen traveling in flocks of more than a hundred birds.
- A small percentage of Burrowing Owls from migratory populations may remain on their breeding grounds year-round.
- It is also home to thousands of migratory birds, caribou, and other creatures.
- We stress the importance of considering forest edge and early-successional habitats in conservation plans for migratory landbirds to provide stopover habitats for species that utilize those habitats.
- Wild Turkeys are not migratory.
- A few species of Emberizids are migratory, but most are permanent residents or make only short-distance migrations or nomadic wanderings.
- Many birds in Washington are migratory, and others move to lowlands forming large winter flocks.
- Northern populations, where water freezes, are strongly migratory.
- Coffee is grown under a canopy of shade trees, preserving ecosystems that are home to migratory songbirds.
- These routes used by migratory birds for passage between wintering and breeding ranges are called flyways.
- It provides important habitat for almost 400 species of migratory birds, 80 species of mammals, and 40 species of reptiles and amphibians.
- Agriculture professionals applaud the bats, which feed on migratory corn earworm moths (also known as cotton bollworms), America's number-one agricultural pest.
- Four of the 10 island populations are migratory, and therefore I repeated the analysis with these pairs excluded.
- The subspecies of Sandhill Crane seen in Washington are migratory.
- A lot of the bird species here, particularly the migratory waders, have been decimated.
- Sequestering of resources may be more difficult for animals that depend upon migratory prey.
- Most Dark-eyed Juncos are migratory, following the food supply south, but many will winter over, given an adequate food supply.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.