In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(millimeter) milímetro masculine(milliliter) mililitro masculine
- Both are sold in grades by thickness, measured in mils (one-thousandth of an inch).
- Currently the American Concrete Institute's ‘Guide for Concrete Floor and Slab Construction’ recommends that the thickness of the vapor retarder be not less than 10 mils.
- The average thickness of FPO in Europe is about 60 mils, and no product sold there is less than 48 mils.
- It is graduated every mil and numbered every 5 mils.
- With a typical pop/rock record, the groove will be 2.5 mils (thousands of an inch) wide, and will move from side to side a total of 2.5 mils.
- Many have observed the benefit of using materials with a minimum thickness of 15 mils when ready-mix trucks or laser screeds drive directly on the vapor retarder.
- PCI design guides recommend routing signal lines along a similar path with trace lengths matching to within 25 mils.
- One coat of some paints will measure between 10 and 14 mils, says Rafie.
- TPOs are available in white, light gray, and black with thicknesses of either 45 mils or 60 mils.
- Another trend with EPDM has been to upgrade membrane thickness from 45 mils - the ASTM minimum - to 60 and 90 mils.
- Some sheet metal, particularly that used in the manufacture of steel studs and other steel-framing members, may also be referred to by its thickness in mils.
- Tape thickness is approximately 1.5 mils and tape path component tolerances are in the 0.0004-inch range.
- This gave us 215 mils of waterproofing protection on all of the vertical walls.
- Rousos adds that a buildup of 40 to 60 mils is very important.
- Research has indicated that the optimum thickness for the total paint coat (primer and two top coats) is 4-5 mils or about the thickness of a sheet of newspaper.
- Conventional spray and dip coatings go on in microns and mils.
- The drops have to be small enough to hang in the air instead of immediately falling to the slab surface, which puts them in the range of about 5 mils or smaller.
- Third, layout engineers also need to ensure trace lengths between lanes match to within 15 mils.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.