In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1militarhe has a military bearing — tiene porte militar
- he comes from a military family — proviene de una familia de militares
- with full military honors — con todos los honores militares
- to do military service — hacer / prestar el servicio militar
- The military patrols have been increased lately, so we are trying to avoid those areas.
- He suffered from poor eyesight so he was not fit for military service during the war.
- The difficulty here is that resource strength does not always lead to military victory.
- As Guzman now says, a military crime is when a soldier deserts, or falls asleep on duty.
- Men from the regiment gave military displays and demonstrated how to load muskets.
- His success at a military level all but guaranteed the loyalty of his soldiers.
- Confident in their military prowess, they preferred to try the arbitrament of war.
- Under the clan system they were pressed into feudal military service by their clan chiefs.
- His military expertise and amiability helped to keep the crusading army together.
- Your task is that of a military tactician, who must guide a group of characters into battle.
- In the current war, virtual warfare has become an explicit part of military strategy.
- When land was held by feudal tenure, military service was due from a tenant to his lord.
- Like the looming military campaign, few expect the legal fight to be short or easy.
- Since it was reopened last week, the site has resembled a military base during wartime.
- His concern was simply to bring his military service to a conclusion as quickly as possible.
- Could it be that a trade association run by bankers would adopt a military strategy of its own?
- This part of the country was also well represented in the other military services.
- Some may argue that voicing opposition to war in a military town is somehow disrespectful.
- There was very little formal structure by way of military rank in Viking armies.
- The issue of military service did not matter to the same extent in Great Britain.
1the military — los militares
- They are operated by civilians who don't have the first idea what the military is about.
- I only distrust it in the sense that the military doesn't report to the people like it should.
- Having set itself up to do so, it has nothing critical to say about war or the military.
- The town had been taken by a rebel group and the military was trying to clear them out.
- The regime itself used the military to achieve power and has long been aware of the danger it poses.
- The town of Woolwich has been shaped by the presence of the military over hundreds of years.
- Conservatives will probably whine about the film painting the military in a bad light.
- We can't allow that to happen, and there are so many like me in the military who feel this way.
- Are you suggesting that the military is the only reason that we have civil rights and freedoms?
- My husband left home in February after eight years of inactive service to the military.
- Although the coup was unsuccessful, it led to the assumption of power by the military.
- It shows workers discussing what they should do as the military prepares for the coup.
- These frequencies get filtered based on what the military deems is right and wrong.
- They even got the military to finish the road because the workers were lazy and slow.
- Since the demise of the Soviet Union many of us in the military have pondered what or who was our main enemy.
- The largest problem in the Meiji system was the absence of any checks or balances on the military.
- There is growing impatience in Washington at the failure of the military to capture him.
- People now have a great deal of self confidence and we're not scared by the military.
- The officers in the military had to be educated or this would never be achieved.
- There was certainly no way they would maintain the proud traditions of the military.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.