In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1militarhe has a military bearing — tiene porte militar
- he comes from a military family — proviene de una familia de militares
- with full military honors — con todos los honores militares
- to do military service — hacer / prestar el servicio militar
- This part of the country was also well represented in the other military services.
- Like the looming military campaign, few expect the legal fight to be short or easy.
- The difficulty here is that resource strength does not always lead to military victory.
- Some may argue that voicing opposition to war in a military town is somehow disrespectful.
- His military expertise and amiability helped to keep the crusading army together.
- Could it be that a trade association run by bankers would adopt a military strategy of its own?
- There was very little formal structure by way of military rank in Viking armies.
- When land was held by feudal tenure, military service was due from a tenant to his lord.
- As Guzman now says, a military crime is when a soldier deserts, or falls asleep on duty.
- The military patrols have been increased lately, so we are trying to avoid those areas.
- Since it was reopened last week, the site has resembled a military base during wartime.
- Confident in their military prowess, they preferred to try the arbitrament of war.
- His concern was simply to bring his military service to a conclusion as quickly as possible.
- Men from the regiment gave military displays and demonstrated how to load muskets.
- Your task is that of a military tactician, who must guide a group of characters into battle.
- He suffered from poor eyesight so he was not fit for military service during the war.
- Under the clan system they were pressed into feudal military service by their clan chiefs.
- The issue of military service did not matter to the same extent in Great Britain.
- In the current war, virtual warfare has become an explicit part of military strategy.
- His success at a military level all but guaranteed the loyalty of his soldiers.
1the military — los militares
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.