In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1militarhe has a military bearing — tiene porte militar
- he comes from a military family — proviene de una familia de militares
- with full military honors — con todos los honores militares
- to do military service — hacer / prestar el servicio militar
- Could it be that a trade association run by bankers would adopt a military strategy of its own?
- As Guzman now says, a military crime is when a soldier deserts, or falls asleep on duty.
- The issue of military service did not matter to the same extent in Great Britain.
- Under the clan system they were pressed into feudal military service by their clan chiefs.
- Confident in their military prowess, they preferred to try the arbitrament of war.
- This part of the country was also well represented in the other military services.
- The difficulty here is that resource strength does not always lead to military victory.
- He suffered from poor eyesight so he was not fit for military service during the war.
- Some may argue that voicing opposition to war in a military town is somehow disrespectful.
- Since it was reopened last week, the site has resembled a military base during wartime.
- Men from the regiment gave military displays and demonstrated how to load muskets.
- When land was held by feudal tenure, military service was due from a tenant to his lord.
- His concern was simply to bring his military service to a conclusion as quickly as possible.
- Your task is that of a military tactician, who must guide a group of characters into battle.
- There was very little formal structure by way of military rank in Viking armies.
- The military patrols have been increased lately, so we are trying to avoid those areas.
- His success at a military level all but guaranteed the loyalty of his soldiers.
- His military expertise and amiability helped to keep the crusading army together.
- In the current war, virtual warfare has become an explicit part of military strategy.
- Like the looming military campaign, few expect the legal fight to be short or easy.
1the military — los militares
- There is growing impatience in Washington at the failure of the military to capture him.
- Since the demise of the Soviet Union many of us in the military have pondered what or who was our main enemy.
- There was certainly no way they would maintain the proud traditions of the military.
- It shows workers discussing what they should do as the military prepares for the coup.
- They even got the military to finish the road because the workers were lazy and slow.
- Although the coup was unsuccessful, it led to the assumption of power by the military.
- Are you suggesting that the military is the only reason that we have civil rights and freedoms?
- I only distrust it in the sense that the military doesn't report to the people like it should.
- People now have a great deal of self confidence and we're not scared by the military.
- We can't allow that to happen, and there are so many like me in the military who feel this way.
- Conservatives will probably whine about the film painting the military in a bad light.
- The largest problem in the Meiji system was the absence of any checks or balances on the military.
- The officers in the military had to be educated or this would never be achieved.
- The regime itself used the military to achieve power and has long been aware of the danger it poses.
- Having set itself up to do so, it has nothing critical to say about war or the military.
- These frequencies get filtered based on what the military deems is right and wrong.
- The town had been taken by a rebel group and the military was trying to clear them out.
- My husband left home in February after eight years of inactive service to the military.
- The town of Woolwich has been shaped by the presence of the military over hundreds of years.
- They are operated by civilians who don't have the first idea what the military is about.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.