In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(thousand years)milenio masculine
- The last two decades are believed to be the warmest of the past millennium, and temperature rises in the last few years point to hotter times ahead.
- There can be no better time to have a wildly optimistic outlook than at the birth of a new millennium.
- Lastly, the hatred and contempt of the past two millennia add a formidable barrier to authentic communication.
- Although the area is rife with archaeological finds spanning millennia, neglect has deterred visitors.
- The first millennium was the first era when most of the world was settled, and the first time immigration and travel created a robust communication network.
- However, the second millennium of Christianity was one marked by deep and painful divisions.
- At the beginning of the first millennium of the Christian era, synagogues were all-purpose buildings for assembly in village and town.
- On the other hand, it is also rather weak on the later centuries of the first millennium of the Christian era.
- The military history of ancient Egypt spanned three millennia, spanning the Stone, Bronze, and Iron Ages.
- Born in the last year of the Victorian era, she lived to see in the new millennium after a century of turbulence and profound social change.
- Some of her archaeologist husband's finds can be seen in the museum, which is a must if you want to grasp the sophistication of Syrian art and civilisation of the two millenniums before Christ.
- We are now entering the third millennium and we are about to collide with a post-modern, post-Christian world.
- For the first millennium of Christianity, the college as we know it did not exist.
- The new millennium was marked by special awards.
- Many, many people in the last two millenniums got into my way.
- What does an Oriental seer, born in the middle of the first millennium before Christ among historical circumstances and a culture so different from our own, have to offer such very modern thinkers?
- Archaeological evidence dating back to the third millennium B.C.E. indicates that the main island probably was settled by Sumerians.
- Even something as monumental as the birth of a new millennium couldn't in the end live up to all of the hype.
- However, there are records of a similar nature written down by disparate civilizations over the last three millennia.
- The last millennium still had a couple years to go.
2Biblethe millennium — el milenio
- They viewed the Civil War as the beginning of the ‘wars and rumors of wars’ that were prophesied would proceed the millennium.
- But we discover that the commission given in Matthew 28: 18-20 was for their ministry in the millennium.
- It takes its name from the early Christians' anticipation of Christ's Second Coming, to be followed by a millennium, or thousand-year reign of peace and tranquillity.
- Constantine's conversion had been very welcome, but had not introduced the millennium.
- They expect to usher in the millennium before Christ's return.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.