In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I can miss a gram of protein here or a milligram of glutamine there.
- Most physicians recommend a total cholesterol level of 200 milligrams per deciliter of blood.
- The researchers used a dose of either 0.8 or 8 milligrams per kilogram of an animal's body weight.
- Concentrations were expressed as milligrams of glycogen per milligram of soluble protein.
- Blood-alcohol content is measured in milligrams of ethanol per milliliters of whole blood.
- Some drugs are so powerful that a full dose weighs only a few tenths of a milligram, about the weight of a fresh fingerprint.
- Fruit juices, having a potassium content of about 1000 milligrams per liter, play an important role.
- Results are reported as milligrams of cholesterol per gram of wet tissue.
- The unit can increase dissolved oxygen in the sock by as much as 0.9 milligrams per liter, enough to ensure survival of the fish.
- Indonesian clove cigarettes usually contain about 50 milligrams of tar and 3 milligrams of nicotine.
- The milk from the organic, grain-fed cows had only 5 milligrams of CLA per gram.
- A blood sample taken from him and later sent to the forensic lab showed a reading of 193 milligrams in 100 milliliters of blood.
- He said a person weighing 60 kilograms should consume no more than 42 milligrams of sulphur dioxide per day.
- Take 120 milligrams to 240 milligrams of Ginkgo biloba extract daily for three months.
- It's best to keep your total cholesterol level below 200 milligrams per deciliter.
- The MAA concentration was expressed as milligrams of MAA per gram of creatinine.
- There will be three typical readings, expressed in milligrams per deciliter.
- Tests showed that he had 515 milligrams of morphine per litre of blood, more than four times the lethal amount of 120 milligrams per litre of blood.
- Dietary labels and guidelines, however, use milligrams, grams, and liters.
- Evidence that nitrate levels in water exceeded the limit of 50 milligrams per litre was incomplete.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.