In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In fact, when the ground is still warm from the fires, ants, wood beetles, millipedes, and centipedes are busy.
- In areas where acid rain is most severe, the supplementary calcium-rich foods that female songbirds depend on - snail shells, isopods such as pill bugs, millipedes, and earthworms - may be in short supply.
- They are predators on spiders, mites, millipedes, and other insects.
- Some arthropods, like the centipedes, millipedes, and insects, have legs with a single branch (uniramous appendages).
- Pulmonate snails, millipedes, scorpions, spiders and mites were certainly present, but are not known from fossils.
- The rubbish also attracted beetles, flies, centipedes and millipedes.
- Insects mined and bored every bit of wood and leaf, while centipedes and millipedes crawled all over.
- These tireless toilers of the soil include such creatures as the earthworms, woodlice and millipedes.
- Plant material accumulated on the pond bottom, creating anoxic conditions that favored the preservation of terrestrial arthropods such as the millipedes and arachnids.
- Thousands of legs, like a giant millipede crawling across the floodplain, kick up puffs of blush-colored dust.
- The arthropodes, like centipedes, beetles, millipedes and worms, bring in the finishing touches to complete the composting.
- The large collection includes earthworms, slugs, snails, beetles, earwigs, ants, moths, crickets, spiders, millipedes and centipedes.
- I received a sample of millipedes and crane fly larvae from a seedling corn field.
- Terrestrial animal life was limited to unwinged insects like millipedes and scorpions.
- They include such things as spiders, leeches, millipedes, pill bugs, flatworms, mites, beetles, and water dwellers such as water scorpions and nematode worms.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.