In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The enhancement caused by shape change is equivalent to 0.6 milliseconds (per day per century).
- In this context, time is measured in milliseconds - thousandths of a second.
- A large variety of gamma-ray burst durations are known, from a few milliseconds to thousands of seconds.
- If the team applied just a few volts across the heart muscle for a few tens of milliseconds, a second, smaller spiral appeared.
- Both types of bursts last only a few milliseconds to about a minute.
- Tunable lasers that switch in nanoseconds rather than milliseconds are in prototype.
- Twenty milliseconds is a natural limit for the coherent integration period.
- The Earth's rotation is slowing down by a few milliseconds a year, due to the moon's gravity.
- A single fusion event occurs on the nanometer scale and takes less than a millisecond.
- The orbital period of this system is decreasing by 1.2 milliseconds every year.
- Competitors will now have to keep the foil's tip on their opponent's target area for a whole 15 milliseconds instead of two milliseconds.
- Disturbances on a large power grid propagate through the system in milliseconds to fractions of a second.
- This is a relatively short time period often measured in milliseconds.
- Gamma ray bursts last only from a few milliseconds to about one minute.
- Seek time is measured in milliseconds and the fastest drives can access data in around 5ms.
- I infer that an atomic clock on the Moon would gain 8 milliseconds per year relative to one on Earth.
- Although she had lived here for about two years now she still took a few milliseconds to find the light switch to turn on the light.
- The hard disk operates in milliseconds, or thousandths of a second, because it is mechanical.
- The speed of swelling and relaxation ranges from 10 milliseconds to a few seconds, Lewis says.
- In contrast, disk systems provide nearly instantaneous access, measured in just milliseconds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.