In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1picadillo de frutos secos, grasa y especias usado en pastelería
- Over a four-week period a consumer might purchase 16 oz. of hard soap, 16 oz. of jam, marmalade, or mincemeat, and 8oz. of sweets.
- And as for Christmas pudding - well, I might remind you that the main ingredient of this is mincemeat.
- Last weekend, I started our preparations for Christmas by making 6lb of mincemeat and a Christmas cake.
- Alternatively, use slices of stale baguette and layer with handfuls of mixed dried fruit or leftover mincemeat.
- in Britain, is a miniature round pie, filled with mincemeat: typically a mixture of dried fruits, chopped nuts and apples, suet, spices, and lemon juice, vinegar, or brandy.
- The final cook-off is the culmination of an eight month long search for the best amateur mincemeat and pastry cook in the country.
- Kashmir offers not only a great shooting locations, it is also where he gets addicted to saffron rice cooked on hot coals, and mincemeat with cream and almond sauce.
- Of the 5.5 million jars of mincemeat, 6.5 million jars of cranberry sauce and 12 million bottles of pickles consumed across the country this Christmas, only a small amount will be recycled.
- If you want to make store-bought mincemeat more special, tip the contents of a jar into a bowl and add some grated apple, orange or lemon zest, chopped almonds or hazelnuts - and, of course, a good slug of brandy, whisky or Drambuie.
- Throw them with abandon into mincemeat, muffins, cookies, fruit loafs - they taste and look particularly gorgeous in a carrot cake.
- To ensure the precious recipe is not lost forever she has stored it on her PC with other recipes for cakes and mincemeat she has collected from the M.E.N. over the years.
- When I was a child we stirred next year's plum pudding in October and made mincemeat in November.
- My mother would make her favorite bread pudding: layers of buttered bread sandwiching mincemeat and marmalade, doused with cream and eggs, baked until puffy as a quilted pillow, and slathered with hard sauce.
- This morning I have already made mince pies (home made mincemeat with cranberries and no meat) and cranberry sauce.
- So I'm taking this opportunity to warn everyone: now is not a good time for you to share your recipe for mincemeat, or regale me with tales of your Nigella Lawson-esque prowess in the kitchen.
- Christmas is the one time of year when I can imagine some tiny excuse for people buying the miserable tripe they do: their brainstems have been replaced by mincemeat and their cranial fluid by sherry.
- We enjoyed the chebureki, three big ravioli-like pockets of fried dough filled with mincemeat.
- Stock up on a selection of delicious chutneys and preserves, mincemeat and brandy butter.
- The family cook runs out of mincemeat, the cake is not iced yet and the tree is still to be decorated.
- Occasionally boozed up with some fresh doses of rum and brandy, my mincemeat or soaked fruits or whatever you call has aged and become nice and mellow.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.