In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(game/activity/repetition) mecánico(repetition/activity/game) tonto
- Depending on how much I'm distracted from the mindless task in hand, it remains there for a period of anything up to six hours (although I do take breaks).
- I shall stick to routine, mindless tasks, and whistle my way through it happily enough.
- To many it might seem a mindless activity and a waste of precious human resource and time.
- Geraghty's professors are by and large men timid in scholarship, locked into mindless routines and shy to the point of cold rudeness in personal dealings.
- Submitting to a directory should not be a mindless activity.
- I abhor beauty pageants; whoever thought of those stupid, mindless activities was out of his mind.
- The soldiers are put through back-breaking training sessions and mindless tasks like polishing boots to teach them to obey orders without question.
- Thank goodness for mindless tasks that (sort of) need to get done.
- He had given up work in disgust at the sheer banality of everyday life - this mindless activity just to get your old age pension.
- Fast food companies have long hired teenagers to perform mindless and interchangeable tasks that do little to teach job skills or build self esteem.
- But it is a place where we perform a relatively mindless and simple activity.
- Somehow I don't mind mindless repetitive tasks when the sumo is on.
- Depending on what values are placed on music, disco can be construed as mindless, repetitive, simple music.
- Heaven preserve us from all these repetitive, mindless tasks.
- The tasks are mindless - find the little girl's lost teddy bear - and you're forced to make small talk with villagers who sound like Pam Ayres.
- Seeing beings like me being forced to perform mindless tasks over and over made me sad, and helping them by escaping made me happy.
- After eight painful consecutive months of mindless learning, you deserve it.
- This will help you break from mindless activity and be conscious of the time, allowing you to focus on your priority - staying on schedule.
- Knowing this, she had allowed herself to slip into the mindless routine of farm work, blindly tilling the soil, never looking up at the sky.
- Jacques Tati satirised mindless routines at work and home in his films.
2(obedience/violence) ciego(obedience/violence) sin sentido(hooligan) salvaje
- They would have been remembered not as forward-thinking reformers - but as mindless cultural vandals.
- We must underpin our values and interdependence by mutual action, working together to secure what the mindless advocates of violence can never take away.
- The mindless vandals then caused extensive damage to the playing surface.
- From where I am, I see yet again more litter and destruction by mindless vandals.
- Over the weekend, some mindless vandal sprayed a lot of road signs around the City of York with pro-hunting graffiti.
- Bill says: ‘Not all young people are mindless vandals - they have been able to see the need to help others.’
- Resilient parents and pupils have managed to raise more than £4,500 despite mindless vandals attempting to ruin their charity fun day.
- With the schools now closed for Easter holidays, fears are growing that other prominent buildings will be targeted by the mindless vandals and their spray cans.
- We've heard it all before, but the reasons WHY foxes are being murdered by these mindless idiots each week are still very much unjustified to me.
- The fire brigade and residents deserve protection from these mindless vandals.
- They are mindless senseless yobs with no respect for anybody else.
- Some mindless vandals have damaged the bust of Archbishop Huddleston, unveiled in Bedford last year by Nelson Mandela.
- The disruption of peaceful protests in Genoa by a few mindless thugs acting in the name of anarchy should concern us all.
- Why do mindless vandals frequently ruin our beautiful parks and public buildings?
- Ever since the advent of mindless vandals, buses have been a favourite target.
- It's a bit of a shame that mindless vandals have done this before a welcome opening.
- We want to make sure we can keep it that way and protect it from mindless vandals,’ she said.
- He is given the benefit of some wisdom and a bedrock code of behavior, which prevent him from being a mindless cutout.
- Then to top it all, my son who works hard, stays off the street corners and is a responsible adult, paid for a car, taxed and insured it and then mindless vandals covered his beloved car with eggs and flour and let the tyres down.
- Sadly there were times over the past few months when they had to go back to certain areas and start from scratch all over again, thanks to some mindless vandals who seemed intend on trying to drag Carlow down.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.