In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1minero masculineminera feminineminer's lamp — lámpara de minero feminine
- Interviews with miners and mine executives established that many companies took the test equipment and placed it in equipment rooms or near air intake ducts.
- Rescuers are frantically trying to reach more than 40 miners trapped in a coal mine that is filling fast with water.
- The organisation of services at collieries and contact with miners gave him great pleasure.
- Last month the Doncaster-based firm said up to 40 miners at the colliery would have to lose their jobs in order for the pit to stay afloat.
- Last week Government consultants working on its new energy policy visited Maltby Colliery to hear the miners' views on its future.
- The narrow mine shafts meant miners often had to work on their sides by candlelight.
- While drilling for coal deep in the Quecreek mine, 18 miners hit an old abandoned shaft filled with ground water.
- Five miners were killed in mine accidents in 2002.
- Anyone who ever saw the way mining communities created miners ' welfare centres and the like knows that by working collectively to change the conditions in which we live we change ourselves.
- The first blast occurred as eight miners were transporting coal to the surface, hurling them toward the mouth of the 100-metre deep shaft.
- Last July the spotlight was on 125 miners at the Oakdale mine who were sacked with $6.3 million in entitlements owed to them.
- After the suspicious death of a miner at a disused colliery in Wales, the Doctor investigates the owner, Global Chemicals.
- In consequence the value of lead and the skills needed to mine the ores enabled miners to sustain their social independence from the attempts of feudal magnates to control them.
- In the first hours, both the company and local authorities attempted to play down the extent of the tragedy, denying that many miners were in the mine at the time of the fire.
- An explosion in an eastern Kentucky coal mine killed five miners yesterday while one other miner was able to get out alive.
- Small events had a big impact: a miner from Dennington colliery came to stay with me and my family while he was in London collecting money.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.