In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1minestrón feminineminestrone masculine Spain
- Ann tried the chicken soup whilst I had minestrone.
- I was going to get soup, too, but they just had minestrone.
- Sometimes, if you are on the losing end of a long delivery list, your minestrone might be tepid or your sautéed bok choy soggy.
- There is also another hot station with a huge soup warmer with minestrone.
- The first course was a minestrone, and the second course was a vegetarian risotto.
- For a similar effect, serve a simple multicourse meal consisting of a cup of minestrone, a fish fillet with cooked greens, and a salad.
- The minestrone had a deep, meaty taste to it but the reconstituted dried vegetables gave away its origins as a packet soup.
- The lobster minestrone was marginally better than that, although it was served flattened out in the bowl, so the ingredients looked disparate and a little lonely, like they'd washed up from the sea.
- It got splashed with minestrone and so I have had to remove it.
- If the thought of minestrone with pesto dumplings gets you hot under the collar, then there's a bowl with your name on it.
- Homey minestrone is a hit (many entrées come with soup or a house salad, pizza among them).
- Before he could respond, I had grabbed the pot of minestrone and probably looked threatening enough to shut even Eric up.
- I can't be sure she said minestrone, since the party was on the noisy side, but the point was clear.
- The minestrone is thin chicken-vegetable soup.
- Use the leftover pesto for other pasta dishes, stir it into minestrone and other Italian soups, or use it in sandwiches or as a topping for pizza.
- On the other side was a minestrone with clams, shrimps broiled in Charmoula sauce and pork medallions with lemon and herbs, plus several others!
- In attempting to place in perspective the scale of the disaster that had befallen it when South Korea sent its team of inflated egos homewards to mamma and a comforting bowl of minestrone, it turned to history.
- He laughs at the idea of miso soup and rice becoming as ubiquitous as spaghetti and minestrone; Carluccio has a great, deep, fruity laugh.
- The meal itself - on the menu this year is leek minestrone - may be somewhat modest, but that, says organizer Alison Hall, is the point.
- Miso, for those who have not tried it, is like an Occidental version of minestrone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.