In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In other news, my brother Simon and his new Danish girlfriend Marlene were up in Edinburgh for a short mini-break (how very Bridget Jones) this weekend.
- In addition to the overall winner who will receive a €2000 holiday for two in the USA this Christmas, there will be six mini-breaks on offer for regional winners around the island.
- The gamble paid off and he walked away with a trip to New Zealand, another to America, a mini-break in the UK, a Lexus car, a Ford Fiesta and £500 cash.
- The Centurions' squad reported back for duty this week after their mini-break, refreshed in mind and body.
- I have leave coming up and New Year's mini-break to the Wairarapa to look forward to, though, so I'm not really that anxious.
- Cabin Fever follows a group of students (or, if you'd, like cheap actors) as they mark the end of their exams by taking a well-deserved mini-break.
- Thousands of trippers are jetting out of Manchester Airport on transatlantic mini-breaks after discovering New York is a better deal than a journey down the M6 to London's Oxford Street.
- I'm having a mini-break in June, so will investigate cheap overseas options (read: Australia) for that but will probably stay in NZ.
- Parents have this habit of taking mini-breaks all of a sudden, and we'd get kids coming in and saying ‘I'm not going to be here next week’.
- Our most unusual New Year's Eve was in those heady, pre-parenting days when my husband whisked me off to Amsterdam for what Bridget Jones would call a mini-break.
- Research an exotic mini-break - destinations, hotels and activities - then set a goal to make it happen.
- Special offers include a Valentine's two-night mini-break for two people, which includes champagne, roses and a restaurant dinner on both nights.
- I'll start my own mini-break with a home spa, including an intense detox using Umbrian Clay face treatment by Fresh.
- Tours of St Giles' Cathedral and Edinburgh Trinity College Church will also be included in the mini-break.
- All in all I'm looking forward to a mini-break this weekend.
- Too many mini-breaks, excessive paper-shuffling, high absenteeism and tardiness should warn employers that recruits might be struggling.
- In addition to this mini-break, Maureen has plans in hand for the summer day trip which will include a visit to the Japanese Gardens and the National Stud to round the year off nicely.
- Reward: more leisure time, specifically for mini-breaks in June and September (post-election).
- But, like all the best mini-breaks, the sunny sojourn with Signor Berlusconi is now but a distant memory.
- One of them will be on a Friday of an existing bank holiday, making a nice four-day mini-break.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.