In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mínimo masculinehe always does the absolute minimum — siempre sigue la ley del menor / mínimo esfuerzo
- with a / the minimum of effort — con el mínimo esfuerzo
- to reduce sth to a minimum — reducir algo al mínimo
- direct interference should be kept to a minimum — debe procurarse que la interferencia directa sea mínima
- The person also must be fully insured and must agree after training to work as a childminder for at least the minimum of two years.
- The main concerns in schools are that the measures are introduced as smoothly as possible and that costs are kept to a minimum.
- If animals are required, the numbers used should be kept to a minimum.
- Those charges are still being finalised, but they will be kept to a minimum where possible.
- One section in the 752-page book says the goal of tax planning is to ‘pay the minimum of what is required.’
- Food is kept as fresh and natural as possible with the minimum of intervention in the cooking.
- It is time Labour took the next step and made sure students got at least the bare minimum required to survive, so that their debt burden does not continue to spiral.
- The petitions bore more than 2,500 signatures, well over the minimum of 1,695 required by state election laws.
- A partnership can be formed and operated with the minimum of formality - no written agreement is required, although it is always sensible to have one.
- But it was injected with determination and laced with a hunger to do the job required with the minimum of fuss.
- In my opinion if the current force did as was required of them extra funding would be kept to a minimum, therefore reducing our costs.
- The Family Court is dealing with people who are in very emotive situations and need some help to try to get the best result possible with the minimum of damage to the family relationships involved.
- The work, however, needs to be done and we are doing everything we can to make sure that it is done as quickly as possible with the minimum of inconvenience.
- The standard-fit electric folding soft top requires the minimum of effort and when the weather turns less than perfect the standard hard top is a boon.
- Alcohol consumption should be kept to a minimum or if possible avoided.
- And now that the war has started, our principal objective is to make sure that it ends at the soonest possible time with the minimum of casualties.
- Imported components are kept to a minimum and wherever possible are long life and locally maintainable.
- So it's always wise to have an emergency recipe or two, using always-available ingredients, and amenable to be prepared with the minimum of fuss and time but to the maximum impressiveness possible.
- Implementation of the programme worked well when run from an established home health service and required the minimum of input from other staff.
- The Connecting the City team has carefully planned the routes to ensure they are the shortest and safest possible and cause the minimum of disruption.
1mínimominimum lending rate — tipo de interés mínimo establecido por el banco central
- Only 13% of its pupils had attained three or more Higher passes, the minimum entry requirement for university.
- Management had asked the union to present minimum requirements for the resolution of the dispute.
- There are concerns regarding the lack of statutory minimum solvency requirement for funds in Namibia.
- All candidate cities that meet minimum requirements and evaluation criteria to take part in final ballot.
- Students who meet minimum university entry requirements and are willing to pay would clearly benefit, as would universities.
- It seems to me that all that can be said of the Directive is that it sought to bring in minimum requirements.
- Registered establishments must comply with national minimum standards and the requirements of regulations setting out how they are expected to operate.
- This agreement lays down minimum requirements designed to facilitate the reconciliation of parental and professional responsibilities for working parents.
- For each state a minimum level of expenditure was set for programs to assist the poor, and for the most part the states have met these minimum requirements.
- A comparable list of minimum requirements could be drawn up for drought and other environmental stresses.
- The crown argued that each case has its own minimum requirement that depends on its facts and the sophistication of the particular unrepresented accused.
- In Wildlife Park, animals only need one terrain, and for other things you just need to meet minimum requirements.
- And ING Direct does not offer checking accounts or impose any fees, service charges or minimum requirements on its products.
- For a four-year honours degree in history, the absolute minimum requirement for entry was three Bs at Higher level.
- The central bank wants tougher rules for obtaining a banking license, better financial reporting standards, and higher minimum capital requirements.
- We run through four supermarkets in town to fulfill our minimum requirements.
- The competency requirements stipulate minimum achievement levels in English, math, and foreign languages.
- It is also envisaged that a model filling station would meet minimum safety and environmental requirements.
- Each hot meal that is served by the cafeteria is planned at the central school district headquarters to meet certain minimum nutrition requirements.
- Nasdaq has started delisting procedures against the company because its market capitalisation does not meet minimum requirements.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.