In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Her surviving hymn to the goddess, arranged by La Motte, serves as the sung text underlying the sacred ritual of the minuet.
- He was also one of the leading teachers of the day, counting among his pupils Didelot, Perrot, Elssler, Bournonville, and Marie Taglioni, with whom he performed a minuet at the Paris Opera in 1835, when he was 75.
- Louie, who dances a shaky minuet if properly guided, seemed like a shoo-in.
- Mr. Gregory clapped his hands as the frustrated students tried to master the steps of the waltz or minuet.
- All the colour and grace of the eighteenth century was seen at its best during the dancing of the minuet.
- He indicates that the Irish dances were fine, as long as there was not enough room for the more refined movements of the polka, quadrille, or minuet.
- This was a real ball, the music playing was suited to waltzes and minuets, and it was amusing for Angelique to see how the groups were once more separated.
- Under the direction of instructor Shirley Agate-Proust from the Alberta Ballet School of Dance, a group of dancers in period costumes will recreate baroque dances including a minuet and a gavotte.
- ‘The mob may sack Versailles; the Trianon may fall, but surely the minuet-the minuet itself is dancing itself away into the furthest stars’.
- In the show's finale, boys and girls from Beckfield Lane and Burton Stone Lane schools danced a minuet on the floodlit steps of the museum.
- Ali began the minuet in time to the music, catching Andrew - who was still glaring at the Duke - by surprise.
- He also celebrates the minuet, of all dances the one that most clearly captures the blend of pastoral elegance and amorous desire that becomes synonymous with the ballet itself.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.