In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(delgado) filete masculine
- Mrs. YS had a breaded minute steak with piquant sauce.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based frying pan and fry trimmed minute steaks for around one to two minutes each side for rare steaks.
- Our waitress, after helpfully telling me she had never eaten at the Villager, described it as ‘sort of like a minute steak’.
- So I'm looking at the menu and I see the ‘minute steak with pommes frites’.
- Mom fixed minute steaks and corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes and the wind howled like a ghost story and the house shook like a giant was slapping it back and forth.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.