In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1misántropo masculinemisántropa feminine
- Since everything had been taken from him from teenager to young adult, Adrian had now become a pessimist, a cynic… Your standard misanthropist.
- I'd always thought I was a misanthrope, but maybe I'm just an introvert instead.
- I've been called in the past, probably with justification, a misanthrope but it isn't so much that I dislike people (well not all of them anyway) but that I have a physical need to be apart from them.
- The administration is thus using the civilian courts to try only the low-level conspirators; the ‘passive supporters,’ the folks who don't quite rise to the level of terrorist - most of whom are just losers and misanthropes.
- I think I'm just a misanthropist, and that's why I get angry about TV - if there's more real people on it, there's more for me to hate.
- Where do those of us who are already part-time misanthropes go when people seem even worse than usual?
- The world of stand-up is typically portrayed as riddled with self-loathing misanthropes, barely able to contain their disgust with the world, who make a living poking fun at its most visible targets and at one another.
- I understand why so many intellectuals become misanthropes - it's easier.
- They will endorse co-workers who are convicts, misanthropes and sociopaths, whatever, all in the name of unity.
- Us romantic misanthropes are hard to come by, you know.
- For some of us - call us introverts if you like, misanthropes if you must - Mass is a precious hour of communion with God amidst relative calm (especially if your parish is fortunate enough to have a cry room).
- But the immediate need, the life-and-death need, is for the Catholic church to continue to expose and isolate the misanthropes that have been entrenched in their ranks, and to implement massive screening to prevent further incursions.
- We meet a bisexual poet who sets up a test of beauty between a beautiful young man and a beautiful young woman, a man who wins the love of a misanthropist through the power of art, and the tales of his two labourers.
- And people like me who say things like this get labelled sour old misanthropes.
- Of course one accusation constantly leveled at animal rights activists (and vehemently denied by same) is that they care more about animals than human beings or are even outright misanthropes.
- And yes, he was - but like all misanthropes he was only so because he believed (almost naively) in mankind, and was continually disappointed.
- The only way to beat these misanthropes is to stand up and be counted.
- It's well written and funny, and the author is clearly a misanthrope, which is always a plus in my opinion.
- Like a lot of other bedridden misanthropes, I got into the lifestyle after being stricken by illness and liked it so much I decided not to leave.
- My suspicion is that the reason for the generally low opinion held of the pessimist is related to his close ties to the critic, the cynic, the misanthrope, the whiner and the curmudgeon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.