In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1portarse malstop misbehaving! — ¡portaos bien! Spain
- We have Christmas parties and days out, and it is nice not to be embarrassed when your child misbehaves or is acting badly.
- Remember when your Kindergarten teacher would punish the whole class because one kid misbehaved during recess?
- Officers hope the incriminating footage will change the attitudes of parents unconvinced their children are misbehaving, helping to stem juvenile crime on the housing estate.
- If children are misbehaving, then we should put fixed fines on their parents.
- They need to be supported to behave well, not punished for misbehaving.
- Police are planning to make parents sit down and watch videos of their own children misbehaving in a bid to curb vandalism, under-age drinking, violence and abusive behaviour.
- It also apologises to those whose children are not misbehaving.
- You know how, when you see a child or toddler misbehaving, you get really angry at the parents for not controlling her?
- She reaches the conclusion that, because some students (the vast minority) misbehave, it is acceptable to treat all students however the city pleases.
- Concerned community members met on Wednesday night to find a way to address the growing problem of vandalism and teenagers misbehaving in the town.
- In this family home, the boys misbehave, don't listen to their mum and dad and get into trouble at school.
- Twelve more youths have signed acceptable behaviour contracts - if they misbehave further, police will take further action.
- There is no regard here for the fact that the child is actually behaving well - he is playing with an acceptable toy and not misbehaving.
- They said girls often misbehaved more subtly and were harder to manage by established methods aimed at aggressive male behaviour.
- In some schools it is common not to be consulted if a child is misbehaving until it gets to the point when it has become very bad.
- To her dismay after a parent/teacher meeting, she found all three were misbehaving in school and their grades had dropped.
- After having asked the children twice to stop misbehaving he decided to take them back to school.
- In most cases, when the children misbehave they are abused and the real problem is never addressed with love and affection.
- Sadly, some people indulge in drunken misbehaviour - abusing people, walking through the middle of the road without giving way to vehicles and misbehaving with women and children.
- The outside world sees what is, apparently, a child misbehaving or throwing a tantrum.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.