In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Militarymisil masculinevector masculine
- Avenger carries eight Stinger missiles in two launch pods.
- U.S. navy officials said about 320 Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired by U.S. warships deployed in the region.
- While fighting in Afghanistan the helicopter he and his squad were in was shot down by a Stinger missile.
- Baghdad was developing missiles capable of delivering weapons payloads, including biological agents, to other nations.
- The U.S. is also considering arming these missiles with nuclear warheads.
- The missile flew for several minutes but an internal defect led to a self-destruct.
- Tor M1 missiles are short-range, surface-to-air missiles already used by several other armed forces, including China.
- Suddenly a jet came within her sight, and it fired a series of missiles in her direction.
- Basing US bombers and missiles on British soil certainly made Britain a target in the event of a nuclear war.
- Now, according to the coalition, it was apparently hit by a missile.
- They stay above 5,000 feet, to avoid the threat of shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles and small arms fire.
- The missile carries a 1,000 lb warhead with a blast radius of several hundred metres.
- They also managed to acquire an old nuclear missile and the means to launch it.
- That could entail the deployment of ships carrying the interceptor missiles in the Sea of Japan.
- Both of the approaching jets fired missiles at us, the warheads seeking in on us from different directions.
- We don't have Scud missiles because all the Scud missiles were destroyed.
- We have seen on all our TVs missiles hitting other missiles and destroying them.
- Here at last was a set of fires as massive and extensive as any that might be generated by nuclear missiles.
- Eventually a U.S. built patriot missile destroyed at least one Iraqi rocket.
- He can sell missiles and even nuclear material to other dubious states.
2(sth thrown)proyectil masculine
- The police were made aware of the complaints at half-time, and one Hull fan was arrested for throwing a missile.
- Windscreens have been smashed and paintwork scratched, and missiles have been thrown at parked cars.
- Two Catholic women were injured when they were struck on the head by missiles thrown by the protestors.
- People were starting to move off when missiles were thrown over the wall.
- In Princes Street Gardens, police drew their batons and forced back people who were throwing missiles.
- Gangs of angry young people hurled all kinds of missiles at the police.
- They say it is only a matter of time before a firefighter is seriously hurt by a missile thrown at crews or a fire engine.
- Leeds players also complained about being hit by missiles thrown from the crowd.
- The news on page five that mobs were actually throwing missiles at Portuguese soccer fans is horrifying.
- Youths have been using pebbles from the surface as missiles to throw at residents' windows.
- Ships were roped together in lines to face an enemy fleet and showers of arrows and missiles would have been exchanged.
- The rest involved equipment vandalism and missiles thrown at trains.
- Bottles and other missiles were thrown in spite of a huge police presence.
- He had pleaded guilty to throwing missiles at police during a disturbance following a football match last June.
- As Tuesday's game went on, sections of the crowd vented their frustration by throwing missiles on to the pitch.
- The riot squad and two water cannons were deployed after missiles were thrown.
- Merseyside Police said bottles, cans and other missiles were thrown into the crowd and at police.
- The man's companions threw flasks and other missiles to ward it off.
- The group then ran off towards Sholing where they began a wrecking spree by throwing more missiles at homes and vehicles.
- They will face charges of obscene language, throwing missiles and resisting arrest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.