In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Cardinals wearing white mitres walked onto the square, their red vestments blowing in the breeze.
- He was a tall man to start with, but as an Orthodox priest, he wore a miter on his head, which must have made him appear like a giant as he emerged out of the darkness.
- The figure, wearing the distinctive mitre - the ceremonial hat of a bishop - replaces an eroded piece of decorative stonework.
- The mitre had a band, or plate of inscribed gold.
- Now I find myself completely unmoved by badges of hierarchy, of mitres and crooks and crowns.
- It showed me standing by the church door at the end of a service with a mitre almost covering my ears and my eyes.
- There are some scholars who say the fish head hat of the priests of Enki (a Sumerarian god of the earth and world order) later became the miter of the bishops.
- The pope is also, of course, buried with his bishop's ring and with his miter.
- He is wearing a grey fantasy costume with a red collar and a red-black stripe in the front that resembles a mitre.
- His wobbling mitre gave clerical emphasis to his plea.
- A man in the purple robes and small miter of the Order stepped from the obscurity.
- In its place is the miter, the representation par excellence of the episcopate.
- In it, a bishop who had committed disgraceful acts was stripped of the symbols of his office - mitre, crosier and ring.
- Apart from his mitre, a bishop also had a ring (usually set with an amethyst) and a staff.
- Then a man pushed forward from the congregation and rearranged the archbishop's mitre - and we realized it was a scene being shot for a film.
- These church leaders adorn themselves with grand mitres, cloaks and sceptres whilst living and working in lavish and luxurious surroundings.
- Cardinals wearing white miters processed onto the square, the wind rippling their red vestments and the pages of the book of the Gospel, which was placed on the coffin.
- The reliquary bust's shoulders were made to look as if draped in a rich brocade, and it has a removable silk and enameled silver miter.
2also miter jointBuildingunión a inglete feminineinglete masculine
- Turn the wood around to make a miter cut on the other end.
- Add wood glue to the miters and a bead of construction adhesive to the backside to compensate for the light nailing.
- It's easiest to square up the board, then tilt the miter saw to cut a 45-degree bevel for the first end piece and then square it up to cut the second end.
- Many carpenters have started using biscuits in the miter joints between trim pieces to lock the joint together and prevent future separation.
- The wood, which is through-dyed in the colour black-grey and mitre jointed, gives the tables and Volumina a strong, monolithic character.
- Installing trim, countertops, cabinets, flooring, and other woodwork would simply be a matter of cutting perfect 45-and 90-degree angles and miters.
- The legs and leg tops as well as the top frame will need miter or angled cuts.
- If a single board length will not cover the entire ridge, join the ends of boards with a miter joint.
- Apply glue to the miters, and lock the joints with a finish nail from the top and side as shown.
- Once the miter joint looks good, lightly tack it in place.
- I then reversed the 45 degree angle on the miter saw one cut the other two 28-inch rails in the same manner.
- The joints are also the same, using 45 degree miters.
- You set an angle on the dial, put a piece of wood on the surface and then big whirling blades of death chomp down and cut a perfect mitre joint for you.
- Cut neatly, form mitres at return angles and remove sharp edges, swarf and other potentially dangerous projections.
- The baseboards have butt joints rather than mitre joints and there are two bad locations shown on the diagram.
- Although a miter joint can be used, it is sometimes difficult to get a tight joint, especially when walls are drywall.
- Apply some glue at the miter joint between the two pieces.
- A professional-quality miter box or, preferably, a 10-inch power miter saw are required for the precision miters and crosscuts.
- Another trick here is to miter the ends at a 45-degree angle so that the two pieces of molding will overlap each other to make a cleaner looking trim.
- If you are using quarter round tiles, you can either miter the corners or use specially molded quarter round corners if it comes in the pattern of tile you are using.
- The corners were mitered as the top of the trim was placed and pinned around the panel.
- Pin pieces of 2-inch-wide ribbon onto each of the four edges of the curtain panel; miter the corners.
- When mitering the box trim, always start by first cutting and mounting an end trim piece, then the long front trim and finally the other end.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.