In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1metáfora mixta feminine
- It's a pleasure to read a writer with such striking command of his art who never loses you in mixed metaphors or laborious analogies.
- This week another footballing figure showed that mixed metaphors don't have to abide by the usual principles of the human anatomy.
- His work routinely exhibits a Joycean verbal playfulness and exuberance, and is littered with inventive neologisms and mixed metaphors.
- The business is run by C J, a powerful figure full of impressive-sounding aphorisms that, on analysis, prove meaningless, comprising a heap of mixed metaphors and clichés piled one on top of another.
- The abundance of mixed metaphors is regrettable.
- Yes, there are quite a few mixed metaphors in this post, aren't there?
- Multiple mixed metaphors proliferate until there is no ground whatsoever under the reader, syntactical functions become precarious, sound and vision seem to rule over anything else the poem might bear.
- His conversation is peppered with the mixed metaphors of business-speak, a nod to the background that has been key to winning over the selection panel.
- Rather than parading a host of dummies laid out by the swift punches of scare quotes, each carefully collected word bleeds into the body of its own mixed metaphor.
- After a couple of weeks out of the game I came out of the blocks like a prize fighter wielding a mixed metaphor simile cliche and battered everyone in my path.
- But grammar and syntax and a horror of cliches and mixed metaphors (‘try drawing this,’ he would tell me) were the least things he taught me.
- His mixed metaphors are well written and well delivered.
- Stories suffer from passive verbs, run-on sentences, mixed metaphors and clichés.
- Then chaos and catastrophe theories jump on board and my analogy come crashing down in a shower of mixed metaphors.
- Even so, that has got to be one of the worst mixed metaphors ever.
- The mixed metaphor is unfortunate, but his story line sounds promising and adds suspense.
- The author's account of his road trip has an endearingly amateurish quality - not least because of his penchant for mixed metaphors and overwrought prose.
- A collision of mixed metaphors, perhaps, but the health underspend is a good illustration of all four conditions.
- Okay, some pretty strange mixed metaphors there, but you get the idea?
- There's some mixed metaphors in the lyrics (baseball isn't played in quarters, after all) and it's probably a prime example of bad 80s music, but hey, I love this song.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.