In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)mod feminine(group/clothes) mod
- They are keeping this same spirit alive today, as have so many other garage, punk and mod bands for the past 40 years.
- Weekenders trace their roots to the mods and rockers' bank holiday rave-ups on the south coast in the Sixties.
- In the 1960s, he'd been the resident DJ at London's hippest mod club, The Scene.
- I think a lot of mod music is cool, but I prefer to be black belt
- This brand new quartet has a sweet spin on '60s pop that any self-respecting Britpop and mod fanatic should check out.
- By the late 60s many working-class mods had evolved into skinheads, and were listening to the music coming out of Jamaica at the time.
- The guitar and bass gave the sound real mod attitude, while the backing vocals added as much soul as the keyboards offered depth and quality to the experience.
- Even the new dress codes and hairstyles of rockers, mods, or hippies became suspect.
- Back in the Eighties, you were either a mod, a long-haired rocker or a football casual and if you were a particularly awkward teenager you were a goth.
- Before there were mods and before flower power or hippies, there were beatniks.
- He didn't have a scooter, but he bought a mod parka and - as was de rigueur at the time - sewed a fox's tail onto it.
- It was an era when official news bulletins were worrying themselves about mods and rockers, or the hallucinogenic drugs of the hippies.
- Definite '60s mod influence but nothing to intense and no retro feel.
- Men expect to see the return of the pointy-toe brogues with a thick leather sole, as well as the Chelsea boot to polish your mod style.
- After all, parents in earlier times were once scandalised by teddy boys and mods and hippies and punks.
- Sharp shooting 70s and mod era riffs were pelted out to introduce the raw indie/garage punk sounds.
- The clubs I have been involved in here are either funk or mod clubs.
- Gold's milieu, the laid-back '70s, saw things move away from the highly tailored mod look to unisex dressing inspired by the sexual revolution and feminism.
- No other clique can hold a candle to the mod fashionistas.
- His dapper mod dress code contradicts the sweaty confrontationalism he projects on stage (and just off - any open dancefloor space is by rights his as well).
Ministry of Defence
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.