In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(art/man/ideas/machinery) modernomodern literature — literatura moderna / contemporánea
1moderno masculinemoderna feminine
- With modern technology and equipment, it is hoped that Chinese scientists develop new drugs with patents.
- Many churches built today combine traditional and modern architectural styles.
- One is the setting up of a nationalised digital library with modern equipment, which could be accessed by people from all walks of life.
- The modernist belief that modern art should repudiate the past has been jettisoned.
- All the groupings and distinctions of modern feminism were present then.
- Some are remote from modern civilisation, others survive cheek by jowl with spreading towns and motorways.
- He called on architects to combine traditional Chinese styles with modern trends.
- He worked in a variety of styles, often parodying modes of both traditional and modern painting.
- Before the modern period, the art of the grotesque was often placed in a religious context.
- It is humbling to remember that the two lives saved that day weren't due to fancy new techniques or expensive modern technology.
- He has chosen nine areas of research to present his analysis of modern Japan.
- Give troops the very best training and most modern weapons and equipment.
- She visited the exhibition daily, and it was there that she gained her first broad introduction to modern art.
- They need a break, which modern technology and management techniques can bring about.
- He didn't know why, but it seemed like trust was becoming a thing of the past in the modern world of people today.
- Even with modern technology and equipment, the threat of death is very real.
- The modern equipment makes it possible to find out the frequency of a word in a database of any large number, say 10 million words.
- Rapid advances in modern technology are bringing the physical merger of man and machine closer to reality.
- Two modern women present a spirited interpretation of a Chinese folk tale
- Suddenly you are aware of all the terrible dangers this modern world presents to the barely-walking.
- Traditional and modern art performances are put on during holidays and the Muslim post-fasting festivities.
- Hardly anything in modern art is more familiar than a Modigliani painting.
- He was respected as one of the first art historians to apply the apparatus of traditional scholarship to modern art.
- Innovation in art is not a new phenomenon - we have seen paintings evolve through the ages from traditional to modern art.
- The exhibition of the year brings together major masterpieces by the two giants of modern art, Henri Matisse and Pablo Picasso.
- The play takes the audience through a remarkable journey from past to modern South Africa by means of dance and song.
- It will include a library and staff room and have modern information technology equipment, as well as provision for a wildlife area.
- But its range is far wider, and it includes a very significant section devoted to modern and contemporary art.
- It was a marriage of innovation and imagination that brought to life a blend of traditional and modern art.
- I can't imagine for a moment that these sports schools would possess modern technical equipment.
- Any form of electoral fraud is a criminal offence so safeguards are needed, and as modern technology progresses, it's now a barcode.
- The fusion of old-fashioned values and modern architecture?
- It works well with black-and-white photography and abstract and modern art.
- It was an interesting display of modern equipment and technology.
- Contemporary sculptors often blend traditional styles with more modern ones.
- The roof has been repaired and modern kitchen equipment installed.
- One is that while modern ideas and technology have helped get us into this mess, we will still need them to get us out.
- Before then, I though that our modern society had moved past such things but, sadly, it has not.
- This lost generation is perhaps the most unempowered generation in modern Bahamian history.
- Without modern technology and test equipment, they came pretty close to the answers that pilots ask every day.
- Degas was an artist torn between traditional art and the modern impressionist movement.
- Let us turn to the experience of rear services support in military events that took place both in the past and in modern Russia.
- While both guns celebrate the past, each one brings modern techniques and ideas into play.
- It would be unusual for a modern historian simply to present a vignette such as the one above, and to say nothing more.
- In this way, she presents a refreshing alternative to official and political histories of modern India.
- Interestingly the exhibitions link past and present with some modern artefacts and photos on display.
- A walk down Tokyo's main thoroughfares presents the modern observer with conflicting pictures.
- But none of them as a centre for Indian contemporary art or modern architecture.
- A book that's not bad in context that would fall flat presented in modern terms.
- Be happy to move with the times - be more modern and embrace more modern equipment and technology.
- The dizzying advances of modern technology have destroyed these assumptions.
- He also has some pen drawings displayed, which are a mix of traditional and modern styles.
- The small fields we see around us, which tourists come to look at, are not helpful when it comes to modern equipment and cultivation techniques.
- The comment remains true of periods of the much more recent past, including Australian social history of the modern period.
- This legislation takes account of modern techniques and advances in technology over the last few years.
- Manchester is a hotbed of modern architecture and art.
- He draws attention to survivals of shamanistic cults from early modern times to the present.
- The grey bridges stood silently above the rivers, with the rubbish of modern life floating past occasionally.
- Over the past decades, modern encroachments and thoughtless building have marred the historic fabric of the city.
- Far from exclusively singling out the Nazi regime, the modern age is presented as singularly tyrannical and repressive.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.