In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Dynamic and cosmopolitan, Barcelona is an icon of modernity and design.
- Islam is, in some ways, I think, at war with itself in terms of its root and its modernity.
- Like the lost tribesmen of New Guinea, the inhabitants of Tibet were, it was here predicted, soon to enter into modernity.
- In Scotland, however, the old code remained legal and came to be viewed simultaneously as a relic of outmoded ways of life and as a sign of modernity.
- We acknowledge the glamour and modernity of eating and drinking in American cities by slavishly imitating them in ours.
- A deft combination of old and new materials as well as natural and artificial lighting juxtaposes chic modernity with a setting that embodies the spirit of the collection.
- The great changes of modernity mean that none of us can be religious in the same way as our ancestors.
- Here he fuses a romantic, even primitive, vision with a powerful sense of modernity.
- In more urban areas, a mixture of tradition and modernity is reflected in the architecture.
- Both setting and hero visualize and glamorize a modernity of sophistication, leisure, social mobility, and consumption.
- In the foreign-language countries, English has great importance as an Asian and international lingua franca, in tourism, a reading language for technical subjects, and a token of modernity.
- Hence large commercial buildings and the majority of urban public buildings show an amalgam of invented tradition and modernity, combining stone with iron and large surfaces of glass.
- I am dumbly entranced by what appears to be an increasing fusion of images of Indian tradition and global modernity, in the flow of advertising, music clips and movie sequences.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.