In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the water molecule there are three atoms: two of hydrogen and one of oxygen.
- It works by affecting a molecule called nitric oxide, which expands blood vessels.
- At the root of sunburn are damaging molecules, free radicals that increase when the skin gets too much sun.
- This electricity splits the water molecules in an electrolyte, producing hydrogen.
- The reactant ions have enough energy to ionise the molecules of interest but not enough to break them up.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.