In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It was not a great time to launch a mom-and-pop record store.
- That reminds me of a superstore that pats itself on the back for putting a mom-and-pop hardware store out of business.
- Now most of the oceanfront bungalows and the mom-and-pop motels are gone.
- Currently, all business falls under one tax category, be it a hotel, restaurant or mom-and-pop candy store.
- You can't get a mom-and-pop shop to do something like this nationwide.
- They would rather shop at national chains than at local mom-and-pop stores.
- Temporarily freed of the apron she wears in our mom-and-pop grocery store, my mother had dressed up for her downtown jaunt.
- Gone are the overhead cables and the architectural mismatch of high-rise office building next to mom-and-pop store next to 50-year-old houses.
- Should mom-and-pop frame shops be worried about losing customers to the Web of convenience?
- ‘We've always been a mom-and-pop shop,’ he continued.
- Not only did consumers earn mere pennies by participating, but they also had to shop at any number of mom-and-pop stores just to earn those pennies.
- In addition, mom-and-pop shops are facing more competition from big box stores and Internet sites.
- Mainly comprised of mom-and-pop stores and private veterinarians in 1993, pet care has grown to a $23 billion industry of superstores and medical organizations.
- Let's be specific: Because the proposed law would only include grocery stores over 10,000 square feet, every local mom-and-pop store would be exempt.
- Those smaller stores, not to mention mom-and-pop operations in provincial towns, are threatened by the big international megastores.
- He looked into the windows of the little souvenir shops, mom-and-pop restaurants, and other shops.
- The twentieth century witnessed the virtual demise of the household-sized mom-and-pop corner stores, replaced by large scale department and speciality stores.
- Most ice cream stores are still mom-and-pop shops that lack the funds needed to finance such a study.
- The duo started the company as a mom-and-pop retail frame shop where they worked with local artists.
- The mom-and-pop stores are further disadvantaged in the global marketplace, being effectively shut out of access to consumer dollars.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.