In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Aristotle produced a complex taxonomy of constitutions, the three main types of which are monarchy, aristocracy, and democracy.
- Of course even such symbolic discrimination is wrong, but monarchy is by definition a rejection of social equality.
- It did not depend on the formal characteristics of the state - monarchy or republic, constitutional or authoritarian.
- The first one I have put up is a rather whimsical article by an American journalist on why constitutional monarchy is the best form of government.
- A new constitution was promulgated restoring constitutional monarchy.
- His reign marked a significant advance from personal monarchy towards the bureaucratised state of the future.
- It was supposed to be about ideology and heroism, but in reality, it was just a new brand of monarchy.
- The rebels are spearheading a violent campaign to set up a republican state by abolishing constitutional monarchy in Nepal.
- Much of what Australian republicans sought was achieved under constitutional monarchy.
- The history of the world is a history of systems: monarchy, oligarchy, democracy, what you will.
- A universal franchise and limited government are better than monarchy or tyranny.
- Discussions about republican Rome were also at that time a way of masking criticisms of monarchy, in a society where open criticism was impossible.
- He ridiculed the very idea of monarchy and turned the political debate in a decisively republican direction.
- Can people move directly from a clan-based system to democracy, skipping monarchy and feudalism?
- The Second Empire almost solved the problem of reconciling monarchy and democracy - but not quite, and not in time.
- It acknowledges darkness, as well as the historic bookends of oppressive monarchy and violent fascism.
- Khan said a large number of people in Nepal said the king's recent action was not in keeping with constitutional monarchy.
- The snobbery and hatred of meritocracy that have been revealed this week are simply inevitable further by-products of monarchy.
- You can see that the resulting difference in the constitution may be enormous: anywhere from social democracy to absolute monarchy.
- The Spartan constitution was mixed, containing elements of monarchy, oligarchy and democracy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.