In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As the death toll from the plague mounted, so did tensions between the warlike Mongols and Italians plying their trade on the Black Sea.
- But Mongols, in turn, became increasingly fascinated by their new subjects.
- According to the census, the total population of Mongols in the United States now stands at about 3,500.
- They are mainly scattered in Inner Mongolia, living together with the Mongols and Chinese.
- They are almost exclusively descendants of the Han, a people believed to be related to the Mongols of Central Asia.
- The Mongols were actually ahead of most of their opponents in terms of technology, training and leadership.
- He said that even though he was an undercover agent, he preferred to pal around with the Mongols on his days off because he was fond of them.
- Medieval Baghdad, before its sack by the Mongols, had 36 public libraries when Europe had none.
- Indeed, some have thought that the manufacture of tofu was originally an adaptation of cheese-making, learned perhaps from the Mongols.
- Tribal rivalries meant that every male Mongol was brought up to be able to fight and hunting expeditions formed the ideal training ground.
- Although they speak a Turkic dialect, their ancient ancestors may have been Mongols.
- Francis Bacon recognized the importance of the Mongols as a conduit between East and West.
- Seljuk power was swept away by another Central Asian dynasty, the Mongols, in 1194.
- Tradition has it that moon cakes were first used to carry messages to help the Chinese throw off the Mongols in the 14th century.
- The Mongols weren't so much tolerant as they were open, being willing to have all sorts of religions in their empire.
- The 1200s witnessed yet another invasion, and control went to the Mongols, who ruled until the 1400s.
- The cultural and educational level of the Mongols is higher than average among the national minorities of China.
- The Chinese supported the Mongols, who invaded Tibet briefly in 1720.
- The result was a steady migration of Mongols into China during the first 100 years of the Ming dynasty.
- I note above the importance of textiles in spreading the message that the Mongols had created an empire.
dated, offensiveMedicinemongólico masculine dated offensivemongólica feminine dated offensivemogólico masculine dated offensivemogólica feminine dated offensive
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.