- The stubborn resistance of the Araucanians, who lent their name to the monkey puzzle tree and delighted in its piñons, left a strong Indian influence.
- Logging and agricultural development have reduced the distribution of Chile's famed national tree - the monkey puzzle tree - to three small areas of the country.
- The tree which was stolen was an araucaria, or monkey puzzle, which was planted in memory of Maurice by his family.
- A 40 ft monkey puzzle tree with branches only at the top of the trunk provided just the right amount of shade for three sun-loving cricket fans.
- Meyer outlines global problems, and then as evidence of how grim the cause of conservation is, he lists dire stories of individual species like red squirrels and monkey puzzle trees.