In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Senegal's 1973 family code obligates grooms to register their intentions at the time of the first marriage - opting for monogamy, limited polygamy with two wives, or full polygamy.
- He notes that monogamy is the only marriage form truly compatible with the equality of men and women.
- Up to now, with all the changes in marriage, the one thing we've been sure of is that marriage means monogamy.
- It's an interesting take on monogamy, or polygamy, actually.
- A family is characterized by the principles of care for all children, faithful monogamy and equal regard between husband and wife.
- Depending on personal experience, you'll be more prone to monogamy or polygamy.
- Serial monogamy is a common marriage pattern and polygyny is practised by a few.
- Doreen says culturally and economically, she has proved that polygamy more than monogamy, compartmentalises women into the class of minors.
- Through these characters, the film explores the three generations of the Dzuguda: from polygamy to monogamy and then to the dilemmas of cohabitation.
- Is a cultural preference for monogamy over polygamy, even when expressed in conduct, more than a matter of opinion?
- Polygyny is legal, and couples have the option of choosing between monogamy and polygyny when they enter into a civil marriage (although this is not necessarily binding).
- Slovaks practice monogamy, and individuals have free choice in the selection of marriage partners.
- Sociobiologists would say marriage pattern - whether a society allows polygynous and monogamous marriage, or only monogamy.
- Traditionally, powerful leading men might marry polygynously, although after missionization, monogamy became the norm.
- Although there are polygynous marriages in some Oriente ethnic groups, monogamy is the norm.
- Women, too, often preferred polygyny to monogamy (one man and one woman); they often helped their husbands find younger wives.
- Most contemporary Mormons oppose same-sex marriage, and they're also committed to monogamy.
- My polygamist tendencies wouldn't jive with your inclination for monogamy.
- Where fixed property became the chief form of livelihood, monogamy, rather than polygamy, came to predominate due to the need to limit heirs and to discourage divorce.
- Basically, Hinduism teaches monogamy, which is marriage to one person at a time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.