In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(state of mind)humor masculineto be in a good mood — estar de buen humor
- to be in a bad mood — estar de mal humor / de mal genio
- the news put him in a good/bad mood — la noticia lo puso de buen/mal humor
- to be in an irritable mood — estar irritable
- her moods change quickly — es muy temperamental
- as the mood takes him — según de qué humor esté
- a mood of resignation was evident among the players — se notaba un clima de resignación entre los jugadores
- everyone was in festive/party mood — todo el mundo estaba con ganas de celebrar/divertirse
- she can be really witty when she's in the mood — tiene mucha chispa cuando está en vena
- would you like to play cards? — I'm not in the mood — ¿quieres jugar a las cartas? — no tengo ganas
- I'm not in the mood for jokes — no estoy (de humor) para chistes
- I'm not in the mood for dancing — no tengo ganas de bailar
- she's in a mood or in one of her moods — está alunada
- If this is him in a bad mood, no wonder so many people declare him a joy to work with.
- I honestly believe video games are one of the best methods to rid your mind of a bad mood or of a bad incident.
- For that matter, hot summer days tend to put people in a bad mood.
- Her particular interest is studying intense moods.
- Stress is believed to impair one's ability to regulate moods and prevent mild sadness from deepening and persisting.
- Her bad moods were still affecting all of us, and I had begun to get really worried.
- Healthy people remedy bad moods by accessing positive personal memories.
- Music can enhance a good mood, confirm a bad mood, console me, remind me of specific events, people, places in my life.
- In this case, a worker may try to dispel a bad mood by suspending work, rather than searching for a new solution.
- It can also trigger different thoughts that affect moods of sadness, happiness and anger.
- Exercising releases chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin, that have a strong affect on your mood, helping reduce anxiety, stress and depression.
- He's finding ways to manage his moods and feelings.
- I am good at identifying what I am thinking and how it affects my mood.
- Ryan returned and Blake greeted him, wondering why his friend was in such a bad mood.
- Sighing as she walked, Molly felt her depressing mood getting rather worse as she walked closer and closer to the plane.
- There was nothing that bothered him more than seeing his friends in bad moods, for he knew what it felt like to be in a slump.
- Depression is a disorder that affects your thoughts, moods, feelings, behavior and physical health.
- I still get depressed and I still get into bad moods, but that engulfing sadness is something I haven't experienced in quite the same way since.
- Another way in which emotions and moods affect judgement is the well-known relationship between good mood and overconfidence.
- Small wonder that your mood and self-esteem are plummeting and you're looking for comfort from food.
2(atmosphere)atmósfera feminineclima masculine
- The variety is what strikes a nerve with me; every track has a different mood, atmosphere and pace.
- Ferdinand's concession of a constitution at the end of January thus provoked a temporary mood of enthusiasm and popular unity.
- The first, representing initial chaos, generates a mood of excited anticipation rather than fear.
- They seek to play on the public mood of fear and mistrust to demand that we change our lifestyles to fit the new conformism.
- After this fourth sequel, the series went into quarantine for three years, as if in reaction to the public mood of despair and anxiety.
- As vocal as the fans were, and as hard as they tried to liven the atmosphere, the mood at times was quite mundane.
- Each note expresses the emotion of the band as they seek to capture the mood and personality of their recording environment.
- Her work tries to capture the mood and character embedded in these areas.
- The meditative mood and ethereal atmosphere of the painting create an aura of intimacy that counters the epic scale of its composition.
- The mood and tone of the book are set through black and white graphics with occasional bursts of colour.
- Both sound and music are critical to the cinematic experience - they help set the mood, the tone, and the ambience of the level.
- Clearly, there are noticeable changes in the national mood as fear and anxiety pervade throughout the country.
- Colour couldn't create the mood and tone I was going for: the character is drained of emotion, devoid of attachment to reality, thus there is no colour.
- The pictures captured the mood or essence of the songs.
- The artistry comes when you take someone else's music, and use it to create a mood or an atmosphere, or send people on an aural journey of sorts.
- When the public smells a rat, however, the reaction of the establishment in seeking to soothe the public mood often makes matters worse.
- The colours are deep and rich and help set an operatic mood and tone for almost every scene.
- There's far too much silence when there could be music to contribute to the mood and atmosphere of the moment.
- It was one of her father's favorite songs, but she wondered why in the English version they had changed the mood and tone of the song.
- Painters in turn portrayed the poems, capturing the moods or personality of the characters or themes.
- If the verbs were in the indicative mood, we would expect she was coming in the first sentence, the chairman resigns in the second, and the lawsuit is dropped in the third.
- French also has the option of the embedded clause appearing in the subjunctive mood.
- If a regular pronoun and indicative mood are used, it shows that the speaker asserts that the report is true.
- He wants to move the claim from the conditional to the indicative mood, as the grammarians would say.
- But the key point here is that it's the subjunctive mood, not the subjunctive case.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.