In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Then, feeling a bit morose and at a loose end, I headed for the bar.
- And one day I might get as morose as him, and might need someone to irritate.
- An irritated glare adorned his otherwise striking face, dark and morose and very, very angry.
- Last night I spent relaxing on the couch and trying to shake off my morose mood, and I think it worked.
- His morose delivery makes you uncertain whether you are supposed to laugh or cry.
- All are female - apart from me, and a morose younger man with cropped hair.
- He sensed she was feeling very morose today, and he was sure that the fact that her mother was coming back wasn't all that there was to it.
- Have years of negative hype made him weary and morose?
- But each time, the spells of euphoria passed as quickly as they came and he would be morose.
- But to be honest, they all look the same to me, conceited and morose.
- He stood on his own, looking morose as usual.
- He became morose and silent.
- Just what's needed when everybody is feeling morose and downhearted about the economic situation.
- In the latter days he appeared morose and worried.
- And yet, you feel, he is unhappy with the popular image of him as a morose and stern man.
- Except there is a very sour, very morose and desperate essence in his interpretation.
- His lyrics have grown less morose and more philosophical, and he sings them with newfound expressiveness.
- I got fed up with people in America thinking that my music is morose and depressing and all that.
- A morose mood of deep melancholy has descended upon me this afternoon.
- He had a beautiful singing voice and a sharp sense of humour, but was also a morose weekend drunk.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.