In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mosaico masculinebefore noun mosaic floor — suelo de mosaico masculine
- A stunning mosaic of the Last Supper, towering 80 ft over the altar, has also been cleaned and new lighting installed to bring the church back to life.
- The themes of heraldry, religion, astronomy, astrology and the natural world are expressed in murals, mosaics, stained glass, intricate woodwork and stone and marble carvings.
- One of the city's oldest pools, the Yeoville swimming pool, has received a sparkling, multi-toned blue mosaic facelift.
- The amber mosaic panels between the long mirrors and gilding have been painstakingly reproduced and constructed by Russian craftsmen.
- After the war he returned to easel painting and was also active as a book and magazine illustrator and as a designer of mosaics and stained glass.
- In the fine arts, the cartoon is a full-sized preliminary drawing for a work to be executed afterward in fresco, oil, mosaic, stained glass, or tapestry.
- Like any mosaic it is a product of countless pieces.
- Glass mosaic tiles add a translucency and complexity that ceramic cannot match.
- For £25,000 upwards you can have a reinforced-concrete pool, lined with stone, tiles or mosaic, which should last 25 to 30 years.
- Down here is the swimming pool, which is 41 ft long and elegantly lined with mosaic tiles, reminiscent of the Roman style.
- This sprawling citadel, looming high above the Andalusian city, boasts a dazzling array of mosaics, with tiles arranged in beautiful, intricate patterns, and is a testament to the beauty of mathematics.
- These include paintings, drawings, pottery, sculptures, mosaics, wall hangings, wood carvings, glass works and leather pieces, felt art, jewellery and much more.
- In the case of the miniature mosaic icons, these details allow the reader to scrutinize the production technique of this exacting art form.
- No ancient medium is more difficult to present in the museum setting than floor mosaics.
- Containing preserved frescoes and opulent glass mosaics, this remarkable archaeological discovery provides a rare insight into the daily life and culture of the period.
- Executed in a mixture of black and white marble, red, orange and brown terracotta and blue and green glass, the mosaics retain their voluptuous, dazzling intensity.
- In that year she traveled to Venice and commissioned the Salviati company to design the elaborate interior and exterior mosaic decoration for the church.
- A random pattern of glass mosaic tiles adds a splash of color to the bathroom between the girl's bedroom and the shared playroom.
- For floor mosaics, stone remained the dominant material.
- On his island retreat he finds a mosaic of the Tree of Life, the beautiful tree laden with fruit ignored by Adam and Eve in favour of the Tree of Knowledge.
- Miniature mosaic icons, as suggested by preserved examples, were produced for a very limited time in Byzantium and were highly prized.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.