In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's a temperate rainforest and is home to ancient cedar forests carpeted by ten thousand-year-old moss.
- Sprinkle stale milk between the bricks to encourage moss to grow between them - you can't give your plants a better setting.
- Nests are made of grass, twigs, leaves, moss and roots, and are lined with green leaves, small roots and grassy fibers.
- In the same instant of realization, the water disappeared, replaced by a carpet of soft green moss.
- Again, some researchers are debating whether or not moss can actually reproduce by spores.
- The room was smooth and white, with friendly-looking mosses and plants growing out of the wall across from him.
- Plants had been growing on dry land for at least 75 million years, but they were little more than mosses and liverworts growing on damp ground, along with some primitive vascular plants with stems a few inches high.
- Silky green moss grew through the cracks of the stone path.
- Looking around at the top of the rock, she saw it was covered in a lush carpet of green moss, some tiny saplings cropping up here and there.
- The room smelled musty, and the three stone walls had moss growing in the cracks.
- The millipedes would have feasted on moss and early plant life that grew only a few inches off the ground.
- The water was running fast enough to keep any kind of moss from growing on the rocks, so they didn't have to contend with extra slippery rocks as well.
- Unlike more-advanced land plants - such as pines and flowering plants - mosses haven't developed pollen.
- I liked the color combination of the rusty water and the bright green moss growing on the wall.
- The previously lichen-covered rocks were carpeted with deep green moss.
- They live in soil or leaf litter and feed on fungi, lichens, mosses, and plant roots.
- As a bonus, the tiles grow moss on them during the wet winter months, so they're attractive year-round.
- Soft moss grew on the earth in places, and the roots of creeping plants branched out haphazardly here and there.
- There was nothing else nearby, not a single plant or animal, apart from a few patches of moss growing between the cobblestones.
- We stroll along the banks of the River Avich with its waterfalls, through tightly-knit Caledonian forest, roots covered in a deep carpet of moss.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.