In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1el día de la Madre
- The menu was a special one for Mother's Day, but the carvery is open every Sunday.
- You see, in Jamaica, Father's Day is nowhere near as important as is Mother's Day.
- Along with Mother's Day, Father's Day is a time to treasure one of the two most important people in all our lives.
- Try preaching a Mother's Day sermon after hearing that news two days before.
- Next Sunday is Mother's Day, the only time we nationally pay homage to women for giving birth.
- Her friend Margaret Earle was on a mission to buy a £99 tumble dryer for her mother for Mother's Day.
- And you do not need Mother's Day to do something special for your mother, or say something special to her.
- As Mother's Day approaches, Grace finds herself increasingly thinking about her mother.
- As Mother's Day comes around again, I realise my mum will always be a huge part of me.
- He also took advantage of the occasion to wish all mothers around the nation a happy Mother's Day.
- The initial reaction of any Indian is to scoff at the idea of Mother's Day, which is not as hyped as Valentine's Day.
- I can confidently say that this was probably the Best Mother's Day Ever.
- This will be my fourth Mother's Day out here at Lake Natoma at the rowing championships.
- On Mother's Day there were more tears when although she had not heard from him in three weeks he sent her flowers.
- So I was surprised and moved to tears yesterday when he came home from school with a Mother's Day card for me.
- This will be a special Mother's Day concert and Tony and Mick and their band are sure to deliver a relaxing and most enjoyable show.
- A good Mother's Day is a day to do what you want to do - not what you have to do.
- These days, it is rare I get to spend Mother's Day with my mum, who lives some 200 miles away in Edinburgh.
- But a surprise bunch of flowers sent by Interflora International reduced her to tears on Mother's Day.
- Spare a thought this Mother's Day for one woman who will be hard at work.
- Here's a timely reminder to all forgetful children to buy some flowers for your mum tomorrow - for Mother's Day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.