In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gallina clueca feminine informalmadraza feminine
- They were constantly playing mother hen to each other.
- ‘Fine, Luke darling, no need to be a mother hen,’ he tutted, and Wells rolled his eyes.
- At only ten years old Lizzie was something of a mother hen with the rest of her siblings.
- ‘You're both a couple of old mother hens!’ he called after his friend as he disappeared to the lower deck.
- I told Sean and Samantha that they should bring water too, but they told me I was being a mother hen and disregarded me completely.
- She somehow manages to juggle the roles of mother hen, unofficial sex mascot, and confused woman.
- Throughout the evening, Patterson plays the mother hen, encouraging the kids' performances, moving a lighting rig here, adjusting a mic there.
- Everyone needs a mother hen once in a while.
- I am a passionately involved community builder, I'm an activist, I know the importance of the spiritual life to my activism, so I try to work on that, and I'm a bit of a mother hen as well to all the young activists in Perth I think.
- She was a mother hen to those working under her and in her department, and did all she could to teach them and advance their careers, pushing them out of the nest when she felt they were ready.
- The mother hen folded her arms, staring right at her.
- Mrs. Ellis is the traditional mother hen, always fussing over her little brood.
- Chris, being the mother hen that he was, tried to force food upon the others the instant they got home.
- Ever since then I've been more of a mother hen to him than anything else.
- I swear, you two are bigger mother hens than my own family is.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.