In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Madre Superiora feminine
- She believes the Mother Superior knew they were Jews as did at least one other nun and the priest who took their confessions.
- Bruno is explaining to the Mother Superior of his Catholic school why he wants to wear a dress to school.
- The most powerful survivor was indeed the Mother Superior.
- She responded with the look of a Mother Superior who's just discovered a novice nun secretly leafing through a lingerie magazine.
- The Mother Superior and the rules of the Church seem to have complicated what ought to be a straightforward proposition: God loves you.
- Six weeks later I had a distressed call from the Mother Superior of the convent, saying, ‘What am I to do?’
- The Mother Superior then reappeared with a bottle of local spirit and we were all persuaded to have a swig before departing.
- In December 1963 she became one of the unlikeliest pop stars in history when Dominique - a song originally recorded as a present for her Mother Superior - topped the charts on both sides of the Atlantic.
- My love of good food won through and I somehow managed to convince the Mother Superior, without my mother's knowledge, that I could not eat fish and never had to at home.
- There the Indonesian Mother Superior harangued them for forty-five minutes on the moral and spiritual duties of parents.
- She, the Mother Superior, contracted cholera from a patient she was nursing only the day before she died.
- The women in my family joined a long line of tough Yorkshire matriarchs who ran the home and the family budget with the cool efficiency and high moral standards of a Mother Superior.
- Starring critically-acclaimed actress Geraldine McEwan as the Mother Superior, this powerful true story is set in Ireland in the sixties and is an emotional tour de force which is firmly and unfortunately grounded in reality.
- When I asked him what inspired his creative spirit, he reflected on his childhood in Sicily and spoke of a pivotal incident when the Mother Superior of his school denied him voice lessons because his parents were too poor to pay for them.
- Kellie Mackereth plays the lead role as Mother Superior with Michelle Raisbeck, Jessica Yates, Andrea Collins and Crystal Cleghorn as the other principle nuns.
- This means that women are perfectly able to act in matters of governance (as any medieval abbess or Mother Superior could tell you).
- She sounded just like Sister Mary Joseph, the hatchet-faced Mother Superior who used to whack his knuckles with a ruler.
- The sister looked at Mother Superior for permission, who nodded.
- Here we have a naive young nun, Maria, who is cast out by her Mother Superior to see what the outside world is like by helping a middle-aged widower, Captain Von Trapp, rear his seven children and thwart his Nazi induction.
- Much could be written about her extraordinary life as Mother Superior of her convents at Bingen and Rupertsberg.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.