In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Highways Agency will be keeping as many lanes as possible open on motorways and trunk roads to help keep traffic moving.
- The Highways Agency said that its 100 gritters and ploughs in the north west were out throughout the night and gritted trunk roads and motorways twice.
- Fewer than 1 per cent of fatal accidents happen on dual carriageways and motorways, yet many of these roads are now plagued with speed cameras.
- Contrary to popular belief motorways are the safest roads to drive on and the speed limit should be increased.
- Remember: the speed limit when towing is 50 mph on single carriageway roads and 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
- The Highways Agency, which is responsible for motorways and trunk roads in England, has also set up another working group to review the the provision of safety barriers on major roads.
- Research shows that driver fatigue is a factor in approximately 25% of all accidents on motorways and trunk roads.
- No new safety barriers have been fitted on existing motorways or dual carriageways in the past 18 months even though experts say they can save lives.
- Falling asleep at the wheel is believed to account for up to 20 per cent of crashes on trunk roads and motorways.
- While major routes such as trunk roads and motorways receive relatively large amounts of cash, Scotland's local roads are in dire need of repair.
- Last year 6,400 tonnes of salt were needed to keep West Yorkshire's motorways and trunk roads snow-free.
- Road noise can be reduced by the use of quieter road surfaces, screens erected alongside urban motorways and dual carriageways and better traffic management.
- Since the beginning of January, the speed limit on certain Italian motorways has been raised to 150 km/h or just over 90 mph.
- Slip roads on motorways and dual carriageways can be a real hazard.
- The motorways and trunk roads that divide this once green and pleasant land into hundreds of polluted islands are littered with the debris of everyday motoring.
- Roadworks on England's motorways and trunk roads will be restricted to a minimum over the holiday weekend, the Highways Agency said.
- Meanwhile, the RAC warned that many motorists could be seriously risking their lives by unnecessarily stopping on the hard shoulders of motorways and dual carriageways.
- Traffic on roads and motorways across the area was also busier and the situation was worsened by two accidents which created delays and tailbacks.
- Driving was relatively stress-free on the incredibly empty motorways and dual carriageways, and our trip also took us through some spectacular scenery as we crossed the Massif Central mountains.
- Specially installed fencing, underpasses and bridges over motorways and busy trunk roads in Essex are helping to reduce deer collisions.
- Tiredness is thought to cause around ten deaths per week on Britain's roads and around a fifth of accidents on motorways and trunk roads.
Gran Bretaña tiene un amplio sistema de autopistas (motorways) que tienen dos o tres carriles por calzada. Están señalizadas con la letra 'M' seguida de un número y tienen un límite de velocidad de 70 millas por hora (112 kms/h). No hay que pagar peaje.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.